You are here

BATTERY 4 worth it?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

BATTERY 4 worth it?

Postby Modde » Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Hello my friends,

Need some inspiration and feedback from you guys. As it is the end of lockdown, and I finished writing some songs: I want to record. Vocals and guitar recordings will be done in a studio here in Belgium, but I am not a fan of mic-ing drums as I don't know what sounds I want to achieve! I want to fiddle around to search for the right sound and not rely on a drummer (because sometimes it is hard to find a motivated one grrrr!!) In my opinion is that if you have some good drum samples combined with the right mixing, it should sound good?

Therefor I would like to invest in a drum sampler, with a bit of research I found out that Battery 4 from NI should be the best fit qua price/quality, correct me if I'm wrong! But I want to know if this would be a good purchase, or maybe you know even better sampling software for the same price? Does it include some kit-packages and some good samples? Any other positive/negative thoughts?

Thanks for helping me out, stay healthy!!!!!!
Modde
New here

Re: BATTERY 4 worth it?

Postby desmond » Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Are you talking about natural sounding real drums, or EDM/drum machine type stuff?

Battery is great for the latter, but wouldn't be my first choice for the former (not that you couldn't do it, but...)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Modde » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm

Should've specified that, sorry! It's genre dream-pop so in my opinion drums aren't that that important so I think doing samples should work and then reverb the hell out of it... But this is my opinion, that's why I am asking some feedback from guys who are doing this longer than me!!
Modde
New here

Postby desmond » Thu May 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Then yes, Battery is a good choice and comes with a lot of really good sounding content (but you can also easily use your own samples or samples sourced elsewhere too.)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm

I used to use Battery, but ditched it for Kontakt. I wouldn't go back. Kontakt is so much more flexible.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby innerchord » Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 pm

Do you just want drum samples? Are you interested in other features, like sounds, MIDI grooves, sampling or expansion?

What is you budget?
innerchord
Regular

Postby Modde » Thu May 21, 2020 8:26 pm

innerchord wrote:Do you just want drum samples? Are you interested in other features, like sounds, MIDI grooves, sampling or expansion?

What is you budget?

That’s the problem, I want it to sound close to a drum, it will be some basic snare kick you know, guiding the music so nothing too fancy i guess! So I am open for suggestions and things to try out! Budget will be around 350euros!
Modde
New here