You are here

Best Ableton Quickstart For Those With Experience On Other DAWs?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Best Ableton Quickstart For Those With Experience On Other DAWs?

Postby ITHertz » Fri May 22, 2020 3:47 am

Hi Folks,

Just about to start a new mixing project that has been developed in Ableton. I have a reasonably wide range of experience and have mainly used Cubase, Logic and more recently Studio One. I've never used Ableton so I'm hoping to find a decent tutorial that explains the basics and also the quirks of Ableton. What I'd like to do is transfer the project from Ableton into Studio One and go from there.

What's out there that would be suitable?

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Re: Best Ableton Quickstart For Those With Experience On Other DAWs?

Postby innerchord » Fri May 22, 2020 4:07 am

I'm in a similar situation. I have a colleague who wants help with Ableton Live, and was looking for a quick-start guide to get me familiar with it. Because it works differently from most other DAWs (or so I've heard) I thought that an experienced user taking me through it would be the best thing to have. It would be nice not to read a manual for once!

I was going to give loopop a go:
"Don't Panic! Ableton Live Explained in 37 minutes or less"
https://youtu.be/8NfnRShtIFE

I'm sure there are many others. If someone knows another good tutorial for engineers experienced with other DAWs, let us know! Thanks. :thumbup:
innerchord
Regular

Postby ITHertz » Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 am

My understanding is that initially Ableton was a live looping tool, however over time other features have been added that make it more DAW-like.
ITHertz
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri May 22, 2020 7:31 am

When you're used to a linear DAW, Live feels like trying to dance in roller-skates, in a hammock.

Just because a project is created in Live, that doesn't mean you have to follow the whole thing through. A few exports can take you into a different DAW.

I'm going to have to try to get to grips with Live yet again, myself. All I want is enough knowledge to be able to do those exports! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.