You are here

Monitoring, which is the lesser of two evils?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Monitoring, which is the lesser of two evils?

Postby jellyjim » Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 pm

Hi

All other things beign equal, which is the lesser of two evils; monitors too close together (just over a metre, tweeter to tweeter) or not being sat on one apex of the equilateral triangle formed by said monitors and yer noggin? Closer in that is, rather than further out.

Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Monitoring, which is the lesser of two evils?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 pm

I assume you will be on the mid line between the speakers for both situations? That being the case, I prefer to be slightly inside the triangle, rather than well outside it.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jellyjim » Fri May 22, 2020 11:27 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I assume you will be on the mid line between the speakers for both situations?

Correct

That being the case, I prefer to be slightly inside the triangle, rather than well outside it.

My gut says that too. How close is too close for monitors? The distance between the monitors, that is, not me and the monitors.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 22, 2020 11:32 pm

I've noticed better stereo imaging if the third point of the triangle is just behind my head, meaning my ears are exact in line with the axis of the respective tweeters. Especially so with my small WA LS3 monitors (LS5/3A clones).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jellyjim » Fri May 22, 2020 11:38 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I've noticed better stereo imaging if the third point of the triangle is just behind my head, meaning my ears are exact in line with the axis of the respective tweeters. Especially so with my small WA LS3 monitors (LS5/3A clones).

Yes I've seen that recommended too.

Something that happens often is where I'm working at a keyboard that's off to one side (because of space limitations) and you end up effectively working with just one monitor for ages as that's closest to you! Though that's only when writing, not during a mix.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 am

I tend to have my monitors set wider than recommended as I feel more immersed in the sound that way and I can always push my chair back to hear a different perspective. However, the monitors I use (LS3/5a's and Tannoy dual concentrics) have excellent stereo imaging so I'm not sure whether that would apply to monitors without such good stereo imaging.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 23, 2020 1:39 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I assume you will be on the mid line between the speakers for both situations? That being the case, I prefer to be slightly inside the triangle, rather than well outside it.

For what it's worth, I have a completely non-qualified opinion.

I'm a much better musician than I am an engineer, but I know good from bad and trust what my ears tell me. Empirically, I agree with what Hugh said above, but I couldn't tell you why.

I've experienced something not dissimilar in an acoustic environment too. It would take a waffly subjective explanation which would be boring, probably make no sense anyway and I don't have the means to justify it in any technical sense, but long story short the pianist usually gets placed outside the orchestra (I'm a pianist, and many years ago used to do it with orchestras) and some locations relative to the group are worse than others.

I'm extrapolating a bit from that but the gist is respect the magic triangle. Better in it than out.

Also, never go boozing with the brass section afterwards if you have a performance the day after.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.