You are here

Reaper on a Mac, how to not display every file in the 'open project' menu

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Reaper on a Mac, how to not display every file in the 'open project' menu

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Just what to says, when I go to open a project in Reaper it displays all the audio files, reappears, backups projects and everything else, I just want to see the project files that are in that particular folder not all the audio as well.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Reaper on a Mac, how to not display every file in the 'open project' menu

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 24, 2020 9:35 pm

Ah poop. I meant to check this before i logged off.
But i forgot. :(
Will have a shufti tomorrow.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 25, 2020 8:06 am

When saving a project it does give you the option to "move all audio files to folder" not sure that if you unticked that box you’d end up with just the project file?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 25, 2020 9:34 am

I have just discovered that it does and changed my defaults to do so but it's my older recordings that are cluttering up the place....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 25, 2020 9:47 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I have just discovered that it does and changed my defaults to do so but it's my older recordings that are cluttering up the place....

Can’t you just copy the project files, and put them in a new folder of your choosing, I don’t use the default Reaper Media Folder.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 am

That's a good idea, I'll give that a try.

The other issue I'm having is that Finder Spotlight searches don't seem to work from within Reaper (I'm on a Mac).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 25, 2020 5:58 pm

If you go to the 'open project' window, I assume it's set to 'all files'. If you change that to 'Reaper projects' does it not stay in that set up next time?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Doesn't seem to work that way here (MBP/High Sierra, Reaper V5.97), no file options in the 'open project' menu and can't find them in the preferences menu.

Problem solved though by following Tony's suggestion (more or less) and copying all wavs and reapeaks into a new 'Reaper Media' folder.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Tue May 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Hello everyone, first post here... and happily it is to offer some help, after years of learning and learning from all of you!. Who´d say?.
To me, the best way to avoid all the clutter regarding file placement in Reaper is as follows:
Go to "Project settings" (ALT+ENTER, I´m on Windows, I guess it´s the same on a Mac), second tab is "Media", first field is "Path to save media files": type \AUDIO, or whatever you fancy, and then click down at the bottom right "Save as default project settings".
Now when you save your project, whether it is a new or an old one, use the "Save project as" option, only the fist time you save it, and make sure to click on both "Create subdirectory for project" and "Copy all media into project directory" (this is safer than moving the media, specially if you´re using samples from a library).
When you´re done doing this with all your old projects and you´ve made sure everything is working fine on everyone you can delete all the media that is not on its own project subdirectory, as it will be a redundant copy on your drive.
Hope that helps, and a big, big thank you to all this marvellous people on SOS forums.
Stay safe and well!
manwilde
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 27, 2020 7:28 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Doesn't seem to work that way here (MBP/High Sierra, Reaper V5.97), no file options in the 'open project' menu and can't find them in the preferences menu.

Problem solved though by following Tony's suggestion (more or less) and copying all wavs and reapeaks into a new 'Reaper Media' folder.

I must admit, sometimes it’s good to see all the files, I know it depends how you organise your music, but after I’ve finished a project I like to go and delete all associated files/wavs etc, and if they are all in one place it makes it easier.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 am

manwilde wrote:Hello everyone, first post here... and happily it is to offer some help, after years of learning and learning from all of you!. Who´d say?.
To me, the best way to avoid all the clutter regarding file placement in Reaper is as follows:
Go to "Project settings" (ALT+ENTER, I´m on Windows, I guess it´s the same on a Mac), second tab is "Media", first field is "Path to save media files": type \AUDIO, or whatever you fancy, and then click down at the bottom right "Save as default project settings".
Now when you save your project, whether it is a new or an old one, use the "Save project as" option, only the fist time you save it, and make sure to click on both "Create subdirectory for project" and "Copy all media into project directory" (this is safer than moving the media, specially if you´re using samples from a library).
When you´re done doing this with all your old projects and you´ve made sure everything is working fine on everyone you can delete all the media that is not on its own project subdirectory, as it will be a redundant copy on your drive.
Hope that helps, and a big, big thank you to all this marvellous people on SOS forums.
Stay safe and well!

Thanks, :thumbup: I've actually done all that, it was all the old projects I was concerned about but have solved that by moving them all into a separate media folder. It means I have to search when I open an old project but, as you say, once it's saved it's all where it needs to be.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm

Glad you solved the issue! Thank you!
manwilde
Poster