You are here

(Mix Review) How to easier mix and master songs on Headphones

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

(Mix Review) How to easier mix and master songs on Headphones

Postby Rokas108 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:43 pm

Hello

This is my first proper mix, I don't have my own personal monitors or a good room so I have to mix on audio technica m50x head phones. I have a very busy mix and as soon as I finish mixing it the song sounds unbalanced and squashed in other systems. Could you guys please review my mix on what ever systems you have and let me know what you think. What is your experience mixing on head phones? Do you receive similar results as I do? Do you have any tactics that you use to help your self when mixing on head phones better?

Here is a master of the track
https://soundcloud.com/rokas-dan/is-niekur-master/s-Hkox17TfpaK

Here is a non mastered mix
https://soundcloud.com/rokas-dan/is-niekur-not-mastered/s-gAVT2Tm7nyw

Kind Regards
Rokas
Rokas108
Poster

Re: (Mix Review) How to easier mix and master songs on Headphones

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon May 25, 2020 10:17 pm

Nice track and a good vocal performance!

Both versions of your mix sound too thin to me. I think that's partly because the bass is mixed a little low, while the snare is rather loud. But it's more down to EQ, I suspect. It sounds as though too much top end has been added to things, and there is not enough energy in the mid-range. That gives the mix as a whole a kind of 'papery' quality. It is not far away, though, and the basic mix balance isn't bad at all.
Sam Inglis

Postby resistorman » Mon May 25, 2020 11:12 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Nice track and a good vocal performance!

Both versions of your mix sound too thin to me. I think that's partly because the bass is mixed a little low, while the snare is rather loud. But it's more down to EQ, I suspect. It sounds as though too much top end has been added to things, and there is not enough energy in the mid-range. That gives the mix as a whole a kind of 'papery' quality. It is not far away, though, and the basic mix balance isn't bad at all.

That would tally with the AT phones’ frequency response. However, Rokas108, you can eq the phones with this

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference/ho ... headphones

Also, I have had much better results using Beyerdynamic DT-880 phones.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Tue May 26, 2020 12:14 am

Very nice vocal performance, congratulations! First mix ever? Congratulations again.
However, lots of issues as would be expected for a first mix.

You are right to start by questioning your monitoring. The problems you have with sibilance and harsh upper frequencies could be related, but although I don't know the ATH-M50x well I can't believe that your mix in those doesn't take your ears off, it's so harsh. :shocked:

So, get better headphones, or use correction software, and reference, reference, reference. I mean with good tracks, not MP3s or YouTube rips. Get used to what a good mix in the style you're going for sounds like first. Then you can build your sound to match.
innerchord
Regular