You are here

Adobe Audition. What am I missing?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Adobe Audition. What am I missing?

Postby armoosead » Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 pm

I am embarking on doing my sound design and mixing for my new short film. Its also a reason for me to get totally immersed in the world of sound, a facet of filmmaking that has always interested. Ive fooled around with Adobe Audition and very little with Protools but I want to try to master one program as much as I can.

My question: Audition workflow is easier for me as I edit in Premiere and do Vfx in AE. But I cant help but feel like Im missing out from some of the features, plugins and quality of Protools. However ive never actually used it and am only going off of hearsay that PT is the industry standard. But im curious from more expert individuals exactly what features I will be missing if I go with Adobe Audition? Ive heard plugins help out a lot in Protools, is that an area of difference making learning Protools a better investment? Or is it overkill for film productions? Also is it possible to get a professional quality from Audition? What about Reaper, ive heard good things but is it easy to use like Audition?

Thank you all in advance and I know i probably screwed up some info as I am super novice in this still. Thank you and be safe

Edit: I am also not pursuing sound as a career but just as a private skill
armoosead

Re: Adobe Audition. What am I missing?

Postby BJG145 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Pro Tools and Reaper are full music production environments with a lot of features around multitrack recording and MIDI arrangement. Adobe Audition started as an audio editor, and while it may have better integration with Premiere and all the features you need, it's not really comparable to DAWs like Reaper, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.

(There's nothing between them in terms of audio quality. As for Pro Tools or Reaper, that comes down more to personal preference.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 27, 2020 9:23 pm

I used to use Audition as my main DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) but switched to Reaper when Audition released a very unreliable update and then, a couple of versions later, switched to a subscription model.

If you don't want MIDI it is a powerful program and probably capable of most of the things that Protools can do (and is also capable of quite a few things that Protools can't do). If you already have access to it as part of your Creative Cloud subscription I would suggest continuing to use it as it is unlikely to be the limiting factor in your productions.

If you eventually find that you want to change from Audition you will find that other programs follow a very similar paradigm so the move won't be too difficult. It is also worth saying that I still have an older version of Audition set up as an editor in Reaper so I can switch quickly between them.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 28, 2020 11:50 am

armoosead wrote:My question: Audition workflow is easier for me as I edit in Premiere and do Vfx in AE. But I cant help but feel like Im missing out from some of the features, plugins and quality of Protools.

You're really not! The Multitrack section of AA looks and works a little differently to PT, but it does almost all of the same things -- certainly up to the level you're likely to need -- including running all the usual plugins (albeit in VST rather than AAX) format.

However ive never actually used it and am only going off of hearsay that PT is the industry standard.

It's AN industry standard, not the industry standard! ;-) PT is very widely used, of course, but so too are a plethora of other equally accomplished DAWs, many of which offer significant advantages and facilities over PT in specific applications.

Ive heard plugins help out a lot in Protools, is that an area of difference making learning Protools a better investment?

You can run plugins perfectly well in AA.

Also is it possible to get a professional quality from Audition?

Yes. It's widely used by professionals -- including the BBC for radio programme production in some cases. I use AA all the time as a convenient production tool (although mostly as a stereo editor in my case).

What about Reaper, ive heard good things but is it easy to use like Audition?

Yes, it's as easy as AA, although it does many things slightly differently and the tools and options are all hidden in different places. Reaper is much more like PT in many ways, and is easily as capable (if not more so). It's also massively less expensive, and it has a very rapidly growing user base including a lot of professionals.

But all DAWs have a learning curve -- some being steeper than others -- and you will only be able to make the most of the DAW, and use it efficiently, if you invest some time and effort in learning how to operate it properly.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound