You are here

Very precise eq for single bass pitches?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Very precise eq for single bass pitches?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:59 pm

On my MacPro with a Magic Mouse and the MBP's touch pad a two finger swipe down expands the waveform and up contracts it, not sure if that's what you want though as it doesn't increase/decrease the hight in the track.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Yeah, what I like in audacity though is that you can zoom in or out in relation to the time period, simply by pointing at part of the track and using a couple of fingers. It's very quick and natural.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:45 pm

Sonarworks won't work for recording piano, that will only flatten the sound from your speakers.

I think you need to look in to tuned absorbers, as Hugh has said.
2. I'd suggest also maybe using the sustain pedal a bit less, the notes tend to run in to each other a little too much I think? That would explain why Nova is not doing what you want. It's not the room resonance that's bothering you, it's the actual notes you're playing (well, the clashes caused with the sustain pedal). The room resonance will stay concentrated at particular frequencies that will be triggered by a greater or lesser amount, depending on if the piano notes are identical or just close. Whereas piano notes will move up and down.

That's my theory anyway!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:27 am

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Sonarworks won't work for recording piano, that will only flatten the sound from your speakers.

I think you need to look in to tuned absorbers, as Hugh has said.
2. I'd suggest also maybe using the sustain pedal a bit less, the notes tend to run in to each other a little too much I think? That would explain why Nova is not doing what you want. It's not the room resonance that's bothering you, it's the actual notes you're playing (well, the clashes caused with the sustain pedal). The room resonance will stay concentrated at particular frequencies that will be triggered by a greater or lesser amount, depending on if the piano notes are identical or just close. Whereas piano notes will move up and down.

That's my theory anyway!

Pedalling isn't the basic issue I'm looking at in the raw files. In the Godowksy I linked it isn't even an option to do clean pedalling, as it would mean losing the bassline and ongoing voices in the counterpoint. It's a real tight rope to walk and there's always a danger of going too far. However, all you can do is use clarity of voicing to raise things above the chromatic clashes, and use partial changes to clean up the sound without also cutting voices short.

It's completely different on the raw recordings to how it comes across in the room. The recording I linked was after editing to remove most the boominess. All it takes is a single pitch on those frequencies. You can hear some degree of it on the very first note of the piece, but that's coming after a cut of 10db or so. On the raw recordings it's especially excessive.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:42 am

Take a listen here, starting just before 30 seconds in. Although the arrangement as a whole is a lot like the Godowksy (where you have to blend chromatic notes in the same pedal, for the sake of preserving longer voices) there's nothing special happening at all, but just a conventional pedal change as the f sharp enters.

https://youtu.be/Fw4jfSaN42M

I don't think I'd started using any EQ at this point, but I certainly could have done with it. I had less rockwool then too, I think but the basic effect is similar still now. From what I remember, nova may have done something near this particular frequency, but the b flat just up from there has been one that stands out even more than that pitch and it completely missed that one.

There's another huge boom if you start just before 5.40, which was the b flat.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:38 am

Actually, something I'm just noticing is how much YouTube brings out the ugliness. I just compared to the original source file and it doesn't have anywhere near as much boom in these moments. I know YouTube reduces the quality but I hadn't directly compared these particular moments before. I think I'll have to edit a little more aggressively with this in mind, as it's a very big difference.

Edit- sorry, scratch that. I was opening it in reaper and forgot that I turned soothe on for the media that had been in there last. It just was as bad as it sounds.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:16 am

Nyiregyhazi wrote:Yeah, what I like in audacity though is that you can zoom in or out in relation to the time period, simply by pointing at part of the track and using a couple of fingers. It's very quick and natural.

On my MBP Reaper does exactly the same thing, point and click the cursor at any point in the project and a 'pinch' gesture zooms in or out centred on the cursor. A two fingers swipe down/up zooms in/out from the LH edge of the track window.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Nyiregyhazi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 am

That's a strange thing. I've found now that I can do the two finger swipe, to save a bit of time, but the pinching in or out only makes the track take up more of the screen.
Nyiregyhazi
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:07 am

On my MBP pinching in or out changes the track along the horizontal axis i.e. the bar lines get closer or further apart ultimately zooming in gets you to sample level. It doesn't change the vertical hight to the wave display on the screen.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous