You are here

Where have I been going wrong in my mixes?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Where have I been going wrong in my mixes?

Postby Synthman4 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:16 pm

Thanks for you concern, Mr Robjohns.
Yes, overcrowding is definitely the problem as everyone says.
I think I'll use the Aria when I buy it back to record the acoustic guitar.
The problem is is that I want to get all the instruments playing at the same time without getting the overcrowded effect.
There must be a way to get every instrument to be heard nicely in the mix without too much compression and distortion. I keep on thinking of how I can get the production to sound as professional as 'Rather Be' meaning my mix would sound less squashed together then.
Synthman4
Poster

Postby Synthman4 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 pm

I want this mix to be a masterpiece. I want it to tread new ground in production standards and pop composition to define 'The Revolution'.
Synthman4
Poster

Postby Synthman4 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Without making a joke out of this 'Revolution', I want you to ALL watch this short video which demonstrates my passion and determination to achieve this wonderful dream. May it serve you all well.
https://youtu.be/naQcINX-7jM
Synthman4
Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:04 pm

There must be a way to get every instrument to be heard nicely in the mix without too much compression and distortion.

Yes, it's called learning to mix properly. Nothing to do with your equipment or plugins. As many have already said, if you're not discovering these techniques by trial and error, perhaps getting some one to one tuition might be a great idea. Good luck!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:58 pm

I'd suggest this for a 'mix rescue' but I think the OP has very strong ideas as to how he want's it to sound so maybe it's not a ideal candidate.....

One to one with Zukan has been suggested, I still think it would be a good idea.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby RichardT » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:26 pm

Synthman,

You could try Mike Senior’s book ‘Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio’. I found it very helpful.
RichardT
Regular
My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Postby Synthman4 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:43 pm

This piece has to be produced uniquely.
And I'm damned if I'm going to pay some PARASITE TO TELL ME HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.
Revolutions can not be achieved doing things in ways that other people have done it but to do it yourself in a new way that can inspire, motivate and change people's lives FOREVER by doing it differently themselves.
My art will touch everyone of your souls by the time I've finished with this masterpiece.
I plan to produce this masterpiece in 7.1 Surround.
Synthman4
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Richard, you came here asking where you have been going wrong with your mixes, but when you have been good advice to solve your problems you reject that advice. You can't have it both ways.

No one is remotely suggesting that someone will tell you how it should be done. They are suggesting that someone can help you learn the skills so you can do exactly what YOU want.

And please, think carefully about the tone of your posts here. You are getting closer and closer to the style of posting that has previously earned you a ban. And you may find that people are less likely to consider giving you skills training as a result of your behaviour.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby IAA » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:43 pm

And please, think carefully about the tone of your posts here. You are getting closer and closer to the style of posting that has previously earned you a ban.
I really hope that Richard heeds this. I think these fora have been supportive of him and his ambition and deserve some respect for that. There is of course none so blind as those who will not see, and to classify teachers as parasites is going too far for me. Most revolutionaries (musical or otherwise) were educated after all!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:12 pm

I don’t have 7.1 surround... please make your revolution available for us in mono! Please!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Synthman4 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:20 pm

You all have totally misconstrued the whole thing. All good advice is welcome but most of it so far remains to be all the same mostly involving compression about eqing after giving each track plenty of headroom.
How can one possibly showcase substance in a truly good original dance composition with so much compression? It simply just isn't working and still, to this day, my compositions are sounding overcrowded and distorted.
I'm just damned if I'm going to start paying for the same advice that I get time after time.
Synthman4
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Synthman4 wrote:You all have totally misconstrued the whole thing. All good advice is welcome but most of it so far remains to be all the same mostly involving compression about eqing after giving each track plenty of headroom.
How can one possibly showcase substance in a truly good original dance composition with so much compression? It simply just isn't working and still, to this day, my compositions are sounding overcrowded and distorted.
I'm just damned if I'm going to start paying for the same advice that I get time after time.

No, you have totally misconstrued the advice being offered to you. No one is advocating a blanket approach. The advice suggesting 1 to 1 tuition is so that someone can teach you the skills to listen to your work and present it in the way that satisfies you.

And it is precisely because you have come here asking for advice time and time again without having learnt to apply that advice to your own satisfaction working on your own, that the suggestion was made that you might seek tuition.

If you assume that it is all a scam to get you to pay for for the same advice you have already been offered free (and remember, this is a forum, no one here is under any obligation to help you, but they offer help, support and advice to many people as a genuine act of goodwill) then you have failed to understand what 1 to 1 tuition involves. It is about you having a dialogue with a skilled practitioner so that they understand what your problem is in greater detail, and then they will work with you to help you develop your skills. So that you are able to achieve your aims.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby RichardT » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:56 pm

Synthman4 wrote:You all have totally misconstrued the whole thing. All good advice is welcome but most of it so far remains to be all the same mostly involving compression about eqing after giving each track plenty of headroom.

I agree that a lot of EDM is over-compressed and over-limited.

If your pieces are sounding overcrowded, you can try slowing them down a little to give everything more space. You can also decide what the key elements are in each section and emphasise them by increasing their volume and reducing the other tracks. You can also create more space using EQ, for example, cutting the low frequencies on all tracks apart from drums and bass. You can also use panning to separate sounds in the same frequency range.
RichardT
Regular
My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Postby Synthman4 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:54 am

RichardT wrote:

I agree that a lot of EDM is over-compressed and over-limited.

If your pieces are sounding overcrowded, you can try slowing them down a little to give everything more space. You can also decide what the key elements are in each section and emphasise them by increasing their volume and reducing the other tracks. You can also create more space using EQ, for example, cutting the low frequencies on all tracks apart from drums and bass. You can also use panning to separate sounds in the same frequency range.
Thankyou
Synthman4
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:18 am

Bit late to this particular party, but, I’ve listened to this track and I really like the music, it’s definitely got "something" so don’t give up.
The overall "vibe" is very good, problem is the mix isn’t good at all, but it’s easily put right.
The synth harpsichord/clave type sound at the beginning is way too low, and the transition from the bird/sea sounds into the music is too abrupt, the vocals are way to low, and need to be much more prominent, so I’d work on those things,
This is simple stuff, and it’s very obvious, I’m wondering what your monitors are giving you? and your room, maybe big problems there?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext