You are here

PreSonus Quantum 2626

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

PreSonus Quantum 2626

Postby Alperian » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:05 am

Has it been reviewed yet?

What is wrong with it? Is it just that it doesn't come with a Thunderbolt cable in the box? Is it because it doesn't have the advertised latency? Is it because the people who have Thunderbolt 3 ports are excessively sparse? Is it because it doesn't (allegedly) come with all those plugin mixers and effects so beloved of folks who want it to do something outside of a DAW?

What is it? Keeper or creeper? Please review.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

***Potential buyer here***
Alperian
Poster

Re: PreSonus Quantum 2626

Postby cyrano.mac » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Nobody's buying TB audio interfaces these days. :headbang:

Those who need high channel counts all go AVB or Dante. The flexibility is way better and you're not limited to one computer/location with network audio.

If you only need 2 to 8 channels, TB really has no advantage over a decent USB2 setup. Most techs I know are completely fed up with Apple's USB-C/TB dongle land. It's expanded their cable box at least threefold, added a notebook and a few sharpies to mark the dongles and note which combo works with which setup.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby resistorman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:40 am

Interesting. Thunderbolt seems to have a lot in common with the history of firewire.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Alperian » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:15 pm

cyrano.mac wrote:Nobody's buying TB audio interfaces these days. :headbang:

Those who need high channel counts all go AVB or Dante. The flexibility is way better and you're not limited to one computer/location with network audio.

If you only need 2 to 8 channels, TB really has no advantage over a decent USB2 setup. Most techs I know are completely fed up with Apple's USB-C/TB dongle land. It's expanded their cable box at least threefold, added a notebook and a few sharpies to mark the dongles and note which combo works with which setup.
Many thanks for your insight. I am sure that there is enough debate there for a whole sticky thread on its own and I will follow AVB and Dante with keen interest in the months to come.

However. that was not the answer to my question. I am not a Mac user. I have a Gigabyte X390 Designare Motherboard which has two Thunderbolt 3 ports just sitting there. Just sitting there they are waiting to be fed the cable.

The Quantum 2626 just seems too good to be true at the price. Are the Windows drivers as good as the Mac ones? I cannot find a reliable review of this product anywhere.

Has anyone used it?
Alperian
Poster