You are here

Mix Comparions

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mix Comparions

Postby forumuser773232 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Is there any online sites or software programs where you can upload a mix and hear it on a number of different speaker combinations or media platforms?
forumuser773232
Poster

Re: Mix Comparions

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:01 pm

Er, I'm not sure how that would help you.

While there are sites that help you hear how much on-line attenuation specific media streaming services might apply to your material, surely the whole point of hearing your music through different loudspeakers is the fact that you're listening via those loudspeakers?

If it's an on-line service the closest you could get to that experience would be to listen on high quality headphones to a performance on remote loudspeakers captured via microphone.

There are some software utilities that aim to provide approximate listening experience of different playback gear through your own system, but even they tend to assume that you've got good enough gear to hear that difference clearly.

Or have I missed the point of your query?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby forumuser773232 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 am

No you have not missed the point. You are right, its just that having a limited budget I can't afford several monitor speakers set up, only got one. But I know I need to listen to various speakers to gauge an accurate assessment of my mixes. Is there any hardware device that can simulate different speaker combinations? Someone told there is a little box device that simulates everything from Yamaha speakers to computer speakers, but he could not tell me the name of the device. Maybe someone on this board may know it?
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:45 am

I fear that your good intentions are leading you towards a wild goose chase. And as a result you are conflating two separate issues and trying to make 2 +2 = 5.

What you are considering is "how well do my mixes translate to other systems?", and where you have gone wrong is in making the false assumption that this could be resolved by some kind of online resource. And the whilst it sounds a good idea in principle, it fails in practice because there's an awful lot that is lost when you go into the detail.

You would like to learn how your mixes sound though a range of speakers and/or headphones, but the paradox is that the only way you can do this is by listening through speakers and/or headphones. And to achieve that you either need speakers/headphones that are calibrated to a clearly defined reference; or you need to listen to works that you know intimately across a whole range of media, speakers, amplifiers, or headphones... and then develop your listening skills so that you learn to understand how your reference tracks translate depending on how you listen to them.

It's not about new tools, it's all about learning how to use the tools that come bundled with your DAW.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Zukan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:57 am

Sonarworks provides speaker modes which I have used on occasion. Toneboosters Isone is another speaker/headphones correction emulator software but I use that as an equaliser. This is assuming I have understood your requirement?

You are better off familiarising yourself with your own setup, even if it's flawed. You can compensate for any flaws that you hear simply through understanding your system.
Zukan

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:23 am

I used to be an adherent of the 'hear it on multiple devices' school, and either had lo-fi set-ups in the studio or I'd trot around the house trying a mix on various systems.

TBH it never really told me much that I couldn't have worked out by listening more closely to the mix and checking it on open-back headphones.

I rationalised to a little JBL battery-powered, 2-inch speaker that some others here also use, but I very rarely use it.

These days there are so many devices that people are listening with that trying to check how the mix will sound on all of them is, to me, a futile task.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:45 am

The most pointless thing is listening to multiple different speaker systems in the same room, since the room modes are the most dominant element of that equation.

So if you are mixing to compensate for a big peak or null in the room sound, you're not going to hear that problem if you listen to other speakers in the same room! But you will if you listen elsewhere, or on headphones.

So my advice is to sort out the room acoustics to the very best you can, and have the best quality speakers you can as your main reference. Back that up with good quality headphones for assessing the low end of the mix without the room influence. Also, because we hear differently when using headphones, this is also a useful check for the mix balance and stereo spread for earbud listeners.

And then I would add a compact single-driver sealed-cabinet speaker to assess mono compatibility and help identify any bass timing/overhang issues, as well as bass clarity when the fundamentals are absent. I also check on laptop or phone speakers just to be sure...

It's not my thing, but if you're working on club music then I'd find a friendly club to go and use during daylight hours because no project studio is going to get close to that sound, regardless of how far you turn up the subwoofer! :-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:07 am

^^^^ This
Zukan

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am

zenguitar wrote:and where you have gone wrong is in making the false assumption that this could be resolved by some kind of online resource. And the whilst it sounds a good idea in principle, it fails in practice because there's an awful lot that is lost when you go into the detail.

Well, you know, while such a service does not exist today, it's not unconceivable. While of course one will not be able to hear how a mix will sound with different monitoring systems while playing over the same monitoring system :), the need is actually only to know if it will sound acceptable, not to actually hear it.

And that definition of "acceptable" could be captured, to a degree, by the wizardry of spectral analysis, domain transformation etc etc which we already exist in software by Celemony, Izotope and others, working against a perceptual model.

Would it be as good as the ears of a mastering engineer with multiple monitor sets? Probably not - a bit in the same sense as services like LANDR aren't. But then Melodyne and RX7 do pretty incredible things already - which were unthinkable just a few years ago.

Considering how many people nowadays attempt to produce music of some sort on a budget, there is a potential business idea there...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:59 pm

If you really want to go down this road, you can find impulse responses of various speakers, such as the Auratone and the NS-10. And there are post-prod effects plug-ins such as AudioEase Speakerphone and AudioThing Speaker if you want more choice. But for them to tell you anything other than what your mix sounds like on a bandwidth-restricted speaker (which you can do simply by using low and high pass filters), you'll need a very good monitoring system in the first place. As Hugh and others have said, there's also your own room acoustics to consider, and the fact that you can learn to read meters to tell you some of this stuff anyway.

One of the advantages of doing this sort of check outside of the studio is that you're forced into a different mindset — you can't tweak things incessantly, so you HAVE to listen and hopefully take notes! Then you can go back to your (hopefully) better listening system in the studio and decide which of those notes mean things need tweaking, and which you should safely ignore.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:07 pm

I thought I remembered Sonarworks having some preset speaker curves (NS10s and others) but checking now it just has some default options.
Still potentially useful, particularly if your only decent monitoring is via headphones.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:15 pm

blinddrew wrote:I thought I remembered Sonarworks having some preset speaker curves (NS10s and others) but checking now it just has some default options..
I think they had to remove them, perhaps legal issues?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby MOF » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Try listening from outside the room where the speakers are, sounds crazy, but it does give you a better idea of how the mix sounds. I might have first read that tip in SOS.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Kwackman wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I thought I remembered Sonarworks having some preset speaker curves (NS10s and others) but checking now it just has some default options..
I think they had to remove them, perhaps legal issues?

Yes, I remember reading something similar to that - it was played down, but those features did disappear between one version to the next.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:00 pm

Well that sucks.
I'll add that to my ongoing list of vexations with the Intellectual Property laws.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next