You are here

Mix Comparions

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Mix Comparions

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 pm

I suspect that it as the use of trademarked names that may have caused the problem, rather than the implementation of the sound itself, but I must admit that I was expecting those features to reappear shortly afterwards with more carefully worded descriptions.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:58 am

I'll add that to my ongoing list of vexations with the Intellectual Property laws.
If a company is using someone else’s IP and not paying for it then I don’t think that’s a reason for criticising IP law, the opposite in fact, it’s protecting the company or individual from being robbed.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:19 am

When I check my mixes, as others have said, I find it useful to use headphones as well as my monitors. I also find the Waves Abbey Road Studios plug in useful as an approximation of different types of monitor in a good room, Then I listen for a while in the car and on a smal, self contained Blaupunkt stereo CD player system, which I bought from Sainsbury's.
If they sound reasonable (which is about the best I can do!) on all those sources, I allow them to escape into the world.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:14 pm

MOF wrote:
I'll add that to my ongoing list of vexations with the Intellectual Property laws.
If a company is using someone else’s IP and not paying for it then I don’t think that’s a reason for criticising IP law, the opposite in fact, it’s protecting the company or individual from being robbed.
But they're not, they're saying, this how we think an NS10 sounds. The only bit of Yamaha's IP they're using is the name and they're doing so in a descriptive context. There is zero grounds for any kind of trademark case here, primarily because Yamaha aren't actually selling NS10s. No trade: no trademark case.
But we're well off topic! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DanDan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:42 pm

When shopping for Monitors I tried quite a few high end brands here in my CR. To my surprise they all sounded quite similar. In addition to the modal dominance at LF there are others. Back and Front Wall SBIR cause disastrous nulling. Unless of course we are in a very well treated room. Then another problem arises. The lack of Early Reflections leaves the path from tweeter to ear unsullied. Crystal clarity. Way brighter than any domestic or vehicle response. So small references sound daftly bright unless a Target curve is applied. Maybe worth remembering that Clearmountains original NS10s were totally different to the current models. They were a small cheap bookshelf model, nicely rolled off at the top. Oddly, being sealed they can deliver 30Hz very cleanly, albeit low level. Clearmountain further reduced the HF using tissue or toilet paper. So.... I recommend establishing connection to other systems in other rooms in the studio or house. A different system in a different room is truly a secondary and totally realistic reference. I have used the same HD450 headphones for years. Totally home to my ear. I can mix a track reliably in half an hour on them. Just by experience I do not get the central levels wrong, but Canopener Studio really enhances headphone mixing. I plan to make some Binaural Impulse Responses of Speakers in Rooms, particularly Control Rooms, some time. I note that Waves seem to have stolen my idea! Hardly, but I tried the Abbey Road plug which addresses the same issues as Canopener. I was gobsmacked at how truly awful it is. Sorry, but somebody needs to Beta with working Mix/Master Engineers.
DanDan
Regular
Dan FitzGerald MIOA  MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

Postby John Egan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:25 pm

DanDan wrote:I tried the Abbey Road plug which addresses the same issues as Canopener. I was gobsmacked at how truly awful it is. Sorry, but somebody needs to Beta with working Mix/Master Engineers.

I guess our ears will have to disagree,Dan.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Previous