You are here

Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

Page 1 of 1

Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:58 pm
by cristianp
Hey guys,

Hope you're all well.

When bouncing a mono audio source in Logic X it automatically creates an interleaved stereo file.
If I click the mono circle in the input section of the channel of a stereo interleaved audio channel in Logic X, what is actually happening to the signal?

I ask because my intention is to keep my mono signal so that when I move the balance/pan knob it doesn't change how much of one side I hear. But in fact just moves the mono source to the left or right in the stereo field. Nor do I want to make the signal present in both ears (as the stereo bounce process has done automatically) I just want to hear the signal as a mono signal.

So clicking the interleaved circle button and toggling to one circle (mono) is this the best way to achieve my intention?

Thanks a lot.

Is this the best way to do this

Re: Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:10 pm
by Ben Asaro
Hi there,

That method will work fine. Another way to do it would be to use a dual mono gain plugin (like Blue Cat Audio) and attenuate one channel but it won't interleave the left and right channels, so it may not sound best to your ears.

Re: Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:56 pm
by ManFromGlass
I usually mono-ize a dialogue track.
I change the master bus output from Stereo into Mono and then bounce the track solo’d.
Dragging that mono audio file into the arrange window creates a mono audio track.
Then I change the Master back to Stereo playback.

Bit of a pain, sometimes I do what you suggest and it works fine too. I’ve wondered, like you, what really happens when the mono choice is selected.

Re: Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:36 pm
by desmond
cristianp wrote:When bouncing a mono audio source in Logic X it automatically creates an interleaved stereo file.
If I click the mono circle in the input section of the channel of a stereo interleaved audio channel in Logic X, what is actually happening to the signal?

Exactly what happens in the normal situation. You have a mono track, panned centrally, going to a stereo output channel. When you bounce, you are getting exactly that - a stereo file of the output channel, with your mono track panned centrally.

A bounce, in this context, is simply "save the signal from the output channel over this time range to a file".

cristianp wrote:I ask because my intention is to keep my mono signal so that when I move the balance/pan knob it doesn't change how much of one side I hear. But in fact just moves the mono source to the left or right in the stereo field. Nor do I want to make the signal present in both ears (as the stereo bounce process has done automatically) I just want to hear the signal as a mono signal.

If you want to bounce in mono, then make your output mono - now your bounce will be a mono file.

cristianp wrote:So clicking the interleaved circle button and toggling to one circle (mono) is this the best way to achieve my intention?

It's one way, yes.

cristianp wrote:Is this the best way to do this

I don't know, as all you've said is you're bouncing a mono source, with no other details as to your intent. Logic has all kinds of other features that generate audio files, including exporting tracks, creating new audio files from regions, bouncing in place, and so on.

If you let us know what you're trying to do, I might be able to suggest the preferable way of achieving it...

Re: Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 am
by cristianp
desmond wrote:
cristianp wrote:Is this the best way to do this

I don't know, as all you've said is you're bouncing a mono source, with no other details as to your intent. Logic has all kinds of other features that generate audio files, including exporting tracks, creating new audio files from regions, bouncing in place, and so on.

If you let us know what you're trying to do, I might be able to suggest the preferable way of achieving it...

Thanks to everyone who has commented on here.

In it’s simplest form I would like to understand to best way to bounce in place a mono file so it stays a mono file.

And

I would like to know the best way to convert a stereo file to mono within the project itself.

Thank you!

Re: Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:17 am
by desmond
cristianp wrote:In it’s simplest form I would like to understand to best way to bounce in place a mono file so it stays a mono file.

For bounce in place, simple bounce in place from the mono region, making sure "Include Volume/Pan automation" is not ticked.
Bouncing in place will then simply create a new mono file.

cristianp wrote:I would like to know the best way to convert a stereo file to mono within the project itself.

Well, again this depends on what you want to do - do you want to throw away one channel of the audio, or do you want to mix the two channels to a single mono channel?

Re: Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:29 pm
by cristianp
desmond wrote:Well, again this depends on what you want to do - do you want to throw away one channel of the audio, or do you want to mix the two channels to a single mono channel?

Thanks again for the reply. Normally I want to mix two channels to one mono channel?

Re: Mono'ing a Stereo Track in Logic X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:38 pm
by desmond
cristianp wrote:Thanks again for the reply. Normally I want to mix two channels to one mono channel?

The easiest way is to not convert at all. With a stereo audio file loaded, just change the channel format to "o" mono. That's it.

If you do want to create a mono file, then change the channel format to mono, then bounce in place as per above.