You are here

Help for a Newbie — AR vs MR vs VOX?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Help for a Newbie — AR vs MR vs VOX?

Postby Mike Jaffe » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi All,

I'm a project manager, not an audio engineer or producer, but I really want to learn more about it so I can be better at my job.

An acquaintance recently mentioned that when getting recordings from artists, I should ask for AR, MR and VOX files for mastering purposes. However, after searching online, I haven't been able to find any definitions for these acronyms; everything I saw just referred to AR as augmented reality and MR as mixed reality, which is obviously not related to this.

Based on my limited understanding, I'm pretty sure that a VOX file is just the vocal track, and I believe that AR and MR are the full song, including music and vocals, and the song with just music and no vocals, but I'm not sure which is which.

Can anyone help me with this? And specifically, can you explain what the acronyms mean for my own understanding? VOX is easy to understand, but not sure about AR and MR.

Any help appreciated! Thank you.
Mike.
Mike Jaffe

Re: Help for a Newbie — AR vs MR vs VOX?

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:35 am

Welcome! :thumbup:

I've been in the recording 'biz for a l_o_n_g time and these terms were unfamiliar to me.

So I took to the Internet...

Looks like some of this, at least, is to do with the world of Virtual Reality - 3D video where you can move around 'inside' the action.

AR = Augmented Reality
MR = Mixed Reality

... and the best I can find on VOX files is that there is something in iOS called a VOX-player. There is reference to VOX files in discussions about it. So i don't think it's directed linked to 'voice' or 'vocal'.

Of course, I don't know the context of the original conversation, but I'd go back to the person who threw this jargon at you and ask them to explain in simple terms exactly what they meant and how that impacts on you.

Jargon among those who know the terms and the subject is a simple and quick way of exchanging information; not a good idea when talking to someone from outside a particular field of knowledge.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:43 am

deskVOX is the "volume explorer" - a design framework for volumes which runs on a desktop PC.

Check https://sourceforge.net/projects/deskvox/

Not much to do with audio however?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:08 am

Hi Mike, welcome to the forums.

Mike Jaffe wrote:An acquaintance recently mentioned that when getting recordings from artists, I should ask for AR, MR and VOX files for mastering purposes. However, after searching online, I haven't been able to find any definitions for these acronyms; everything I saw just referred to AR as augmented reality and MR as mixed reality, which is obviously not related to this.

Well.. actually it maybe... AR/VR is an increasingly popular direction for content these days and it's entirely possible that your employers are looking to produce content for these purposes.

Added to which, I've never come across these terms in the context of traditional audio mastering.

If I were you, I'd go back to your acquaintance and ask them to explain and define these terms for you. If they can, great -- please come back and share them with us! But it maybe that these are terms being used without understanding or meaning and/or out of context. It happens... :-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound