You are here

How do they create the fake crowd on the premier league tv coverage live?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How do they create the fake crowd on the premier league tv coverage live?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:50 pm

If you’re a footie fan you’ll have seen that a lot of the empty stadium coverage of the live games has added crowd effects done live and quite convincingly. I’m imagining someone sitting at a midi pad controller hitting buttons labelled Oooh or Ahh or Booo etc. Anyone know how it’s actually done?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: How do they create the fake crowd on the premier league tv coverage live?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:01 pm

I don't have any specifics -- although I'll try and find out for you -- but I would imagine they'd be using something like Sigma Broadcast's SpotOn system.

That has been a pretty standard broadcast tool across the UK broadcasters for playing all manner of stings, jingles, effects, beds and anything else audio-related. And they'd have plenty of access to sound effects gathered from the actual stadiums to use.

Usually operated with a touchscreen.

http://www.serialtech.com/pages/spoton.htm
http://www.sigmabroadcast.com/
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Interesting! The one thing I did hear was that they use a basic ‘pad’ taken from the same game last season if available. So you get bits of singing about the relevant teams etc. Whether this is prepared or on a loop I have no idea?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I've don't have any specifics -- although I'll try and find out for you -- but I would imagine they'd be using something like Sigma Broadcast's SpotOn system.

That has been a pretty standard broadcast tool across the UK broadcasters for playing all manner of stings, jingles, effects, beds and anything else audio-related. And they'd have plenty of access to sound effects gathered from the actual stadiums to use.

Or if you're on a Mac and just can't bear something so ugly-looking, there's Ferrago, which is really nice for this kind of thing:

https://rogueamoeba.com/farrago/

Lot's people use it for playing in live audio for things like podcasts etc...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:55 pm

blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:40 am

Well I guess they use real sounds from games to start with so reality imitating art imitating reality. Still no closer to knowing how they actually do it, hopefully Hugh will interrogate his chums in the biz.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I've don't have any specifics -- although I'll try and find out for you -- but I would imagine they'd be using something like Sigma Broadcast's SpotOn system.

Usually operated with a touchscreen.

http://www.serialtech.com/pages/spoton.htm
http://www.sigmabroadcast.com/

When I was at the Beeb sitting in on local radio that’s exactly what they used for jingles and "stuff" it was all over the place, even at Radio 1. That control room was interesting, a pair of big monitors, a couple of computer screens, and a U87 with a big foam windshield, the U87 seemed to be the de facto mic all over BBC Radio.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:03 am

Arpangel wrote:When I was at the Beeb sitting in on local radio that’s exactly what they used for jingles and "stuff" it was all over the place, even at Radio 1.

Actually, what you saw in LR and Radio 1 was probably Dira!Cartplayer. Most of these touchscreen 'cart-wall' type playback systems look very similar to each other, but in BBC radio everything is tied to the VCS Highlander playout system which has its own integrated cart-wall called... Cartplayer (or it was the last time I looked, anyway!).

...the U87 seemed to be the de facto mic all over BBC Radio.

It is commonly used in the 'DJ' presentation studios like those at Radio 1 and Radio 2, etc. But the Radio 3 and Radio 4 round table stuff is mostly done on C414s.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:10 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:...hopefully Hugh will interrogate his chums in the biz.

Interrogation has been applied... awaiting answers.

But I imagine they simply have a selection of crowd ambience 'beds' -- general 'hubbub', some with singing or chanting, and variations with progressive levels of excitement. And then they'll spin in over that specific action crowd noises -- cheers, oohs, aahs, and so on.

Obviously the challenge for real-time crowd generation is in anticipating the action on the pitch and spinning in the right sound effects at the right time to create the right effect. While these are skills that broadcast sound staff use and develop regularly, I wouldn't want to have to do it....

Being able to tap the on-screen buttons to fire off the right noises instantly helps, of course -- there's no equipment latency to worry about -- and systems like SpotOn have very sophisticated options for looping and crossfading between items, and outputting via multiple channels for external fading/balancing.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:14 am

Got to admit I find the crowd noise annoying. But switching to the red-button then drops the picture out of HD which is *more* annoying! :lol:

Wost is when the guys pushing the buttons miss the moment of magic, then press the 'excitement' button when the shot misses by a mile - it's like a crowd with a 3-second delay!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:When I was at the Beeb sitting in on local radio that’s exactly what they used for jingles and "stuff" it was all over the place, even at Radio 1.

Actually, what you saw in LR and Radio 1 was probably Dira!Cartplayer. Most of these touchscreen 'cart-wall' type playback systems look very similar to each other, but in BBC radio everything is tied to the VCS Highlander playout system which has its own integrated cart-wall called... Cartplayer (or it was the last time I looked, anyway!).

...the U87 seemed to be the de facto mic all over BBC Radio.

It is commonly used in the 'DJ' presentation studios like those at Radio 1 and Radio 2, etc. But the Radio 3 and Radio 4 round table stuff is mostly done on C414s.

That’s all interesting, especially about the C414's, didn’t they use 4038's in some studios at one point?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 pm

They still do on occasion...

But the 4038 certainly used to be the staple voice mic over at World Service when they were still at Bush House.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby forumuser840717 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:08 pm

desmond wrote:

Or if you're on a Mac and just can't bear something so ugly-looking, there's Ferrago, which is really nice for this kind of thing:

https://rogueamoeba.com/farrago/

Lot's people use it for playing in live audio for things like podcasts etc...

Whereas people who value function and reliabilty over looks in applications somewhat more pressured than podcasting tend to use the ugly one (or a few other equally visually uninspiring but effective alternatives). :beamup:

After all, it's not as if the likes of SpotOn or Ovation or other such digital 'cart'/cue players in professional use look the way they do because their developers aren't capable of making something that looks prettier to appeal to podcasters; perhaps their client base actually likes and expects them to look the way they do. I know that when I need to trigger audio cues live in a theatrical or broadcast environment I'd much prefer a bunch of big, clear, obviously colour coded and clearly labelled blocks (which are a lot cleverer than they look) over a load of little pastel coloured graphic waveforms.
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:12 pm

:bouncy: There speaks the voice of bitter experience!
Hugh Robjohns

Next