You are here

How do they create the fake crowd on the premier league tv coverage live?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: How do they create the fake crowd on the premier league tv coverage live?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:27 pm

Yes, cheers. How interesting they use Ableton.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby MOF » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm

I presume the colour coding refers to the output fader each sound is routed to?

I don’t think so, there was very little hardware on show in those studios I was in, in fact, the only big old school mixer I saw was in the room the interns were interviewed in! it was a big old 70's Chilton mixer. Levels etc were all set-up on the computer, there was a little engineers "controller" with a handful of faders, and studios like Radio 1 were one man operations most of the time.

On their website they said “Audio output can be directed to any of the installed sound cards”
When I did voluntary work at Hospital Radio decades ago even then we had two cart machines, each with its own fader, and when I worked at ITV each cart machine and reel to reel tape machine had its own fader.
For local news we used to trigger the closing music one minute before our off air time, but with the fader down and then you faded it up gently for the ‘goodbyes’ and then fully up after that.
For the football scenario I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t have individual fader control e.g. a player is headed for the opposition’s goal, so the ‘crowd roar’ cue is played but then the goalie deflects the ball, you’d need to be able to do a quick fade of that cue while simultaneously triggering the ‘oh damn he’s missed’ cue. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:47 am

Didn’t he say that they had automatic cross fades/cutoffs for that very reason, like hi hats in a drum sampler etc
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby MOF » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:59 pm

Didn’t he say that they had automatic cross fades/cutoffs for that very reason, like hi hats in a drum sampler etc
I didn’t listen to it all, but I’d still want level control of what is essentially a dubbing session.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Rwkitch » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:13 am

Short video showing the console used here:

https://twitter.com/scott_mills/status/ ... 2847017990
Rwkitch
New here

Previous