You are here

Dynamic EQ vs Multiband Compressor (ref Virtual Sosage meet eight)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Dynamic EQ vs Multiband Compressor (ref Virtual Sosage meet eight)

Postby The Elf » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:45 am

I do a lot of work with acoustic guitar, and that often needs some deep notch EQ to tame resonances. I find that a dynamic EQ does less harm than a static one - the resonance is dipped when it appears, but the guitar's tone is left alone when the cut isn't required.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:16 pm

This is where I first encountered MBC, trying to rescue a stereo "acoustic" recording where the double bass had a bit of a "woof" at the same spot where the guitar sounded nice. I wanted to take out the nasty where it popped up without destroying the nice.

In my reading round I've seen that ReaFir can be harness to listen to one track while controlling another by way of dynamic EQ. This looks potentially useful to cobble together a ducking process in a folder or buss. Is it common to other approaches?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:53 pm

I’ve been relying on these to help clean up my mixes but am now reading as much as I can about Oeksound’s Soothe 2. I am getting the impression that I could move to this plugin and save time and get a better results, particularly as my hi frequency hearing is diminishing yearly.
Here is the SOS review -
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/oeksound-soothe-2

Does anybody else have any real world experiences with this plug?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Urthlupe » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:28 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Does anybody else have any real world experiences with this plug?

Yup, I use Soothe2 - and a bunch of multiband dynamics and dynamic eq plugins.

What d’ya wanna know bud?

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:46 pm

You may have answered my question - I was assuming Soothe would replace dynamic eq and multiband compressors. I suspect it’s the right tool for the right job scenario.
Soothe sounds like it could replace the other 2 but I guess it depends on the track and/or mix and how you hear it in your head.
Am I close?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Urthlupe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:56 am

ManFromGlass wrote:You may have answered my question - I was assuming Soothe would replace dynamic eq and multiband compressors. I suspect it’s the right tool for the right job scenario.
Soothe sounds like it could replace the other 2 but I guess it depends on the track and/or mix and how you hear it in your head.
Am I close?

This is a confusing area bud - maybe because the s’ware developers are being really creative in creating tools that combine what might previously have been separate functions. Very cool.... :-)

Having said that..... to generalise at a basic level, the differences between a multiband compressor and dynamic eq are these....

1. The MB has fixed crossover networks which are always functional, the Dyn EQ does not, it only functions once the signal crosses the threshold and then dynamically. Any resulting phase shift is therefore always present in the MB, but dynamically present in the Dyn EQ.

2. An MB compressor only compresses, an MB expander only expands, a Dyn EQ offers both cut and boost. There are many MB devices now though that offer both expansion and compression, or combinations of upward and downward varieties of either - but this conversation began as a consideration of Dyn EQ vs MB compression.

3. Bands in an MB device instated via crossover networks cannot overlap, Dyn EQ’s can.

There are other differences by type......

So yup, this is horses for courses, often the tools are interchangeable and often the plugs now hybridise - which means you might simply prefer one developer’s take (or pricing structure....:-) and then use just use that across the board.

So what is Soothe? It’s a bit different. It tries to identify resonance buildups and then dynamically apply attenuation to those frequencies - in the hundreds of bands. It looks a bit like an eq or a dynamic device because in v2 it now allows you to control it’s functioning by tailoring it’s response (or detection?) via traditional looking eq tools and includes control over processing envelope (attack and release). It’s a bit ace actually. Recently used it all over a trombone quartet album which we recorded in a beautiful sounding church - but somehow had collected occasionally a bit of mid range buildup. Whoops.

I use ‘em all, but mostly because I’ve been at this a very long time (since way before computers......) so have simply collected them over the years. I like to look at myself as a ‘Plugin Curator’..... :-). I use Soothe though as a shaper.... surgical it ain’t.

Some of this stuff is expensive so my suggestion would be that you have a bit of understanding before you buy.... to that end (and without providing too much) maybe you might have a look at the excellent videos provided by Fabfilter.... in particular have a look at their Pro-MB and Pro-Q3 tutorials here....

https://www.fabfilter.com/video/

Maybe also take a squint at the ‘EQ linear phase vs minimum phase’ video as well while you’re on - but that’s another story....

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks!
The Pro Q has been on my list and steadily moving to the top the more I hear from mixer friends how awesome it is.
The homework never stops in this biz :thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:47 pm

I make no apologies for dragging this up again as I've just come across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWqqnY- ... EAPERMania
which shows how to use the standard free ReaEQ as a dynamic eq. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous