You are here

Weird Goings on in Adobe Premier Elements

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Weird Goings on in Adobe Premier Elements

Postby The Bunk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm working on a home video using Premier Elements 12 and there's some weirdness that I haven't experienced before.
One of the files I imported has been time stretched from around 6:01 mins to 7:29. Nothing of my making and there's absolutely nothing I can see that has made this happen. I have been able to manually time stretch it back to 6:01 and I think I have got away with it but I'm not 100% convinced. I've tried re-importing and exactly the same happens even if I do it with a whole new project.
And then with another vid it seems to have done the same thing; only by a small amount but it's of a vocal singing / miming. Perfectly, or near as dammit, lined up at the start but by the end it's noticeably out, even if it is by a fraction of a second. It's obvious enough to be wrong.
Anything I'm missing??
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Re: Weird Goings on in Adobe Premier Elements

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:13 pm

I'm not clear on what these files actually are, but it sounds like you might be working with separate audio and video files which were not recorded with a common sync master clock.

Separate machines will always drift relative to one another, which is why we use shared reference clocks in the pro world... But 1.5 minutes of drift in a 6 minute piece is far more than might normally be expected.

So I wonder if there's some confusion with the audio sample rate. A 48k file being misinterpreted in a 44.1k project, perhaps?

I think to help figure this one out we're going to need to know a lot more about the source material, how they were created, and what you're trying to do.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby adrian_k » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:36 pm

I had a similar issue but just with audio. Someone sent me a WAV file that had been exported from a DAW that stored the project bpm with the audio. When I imported it to my DAW it doesn’t know about that so ignored the bpm, the resulting audio was too short. Someone else with the same DAW as the source recording imported the same file fine.

Had me scratching my head for a while especially as the ratio of the right length to the wrong length was almost exactly 44.1/48.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm not clear on what these files actually are, but it sounds like you might be working with separate audio and video files which were not recorded with a common sync master clock.
This! (Probably combined with trying to put a 30fps file into a 25fps project.)

If the A and V files are not synced, clapper-board them top and bottom and sync that way - or use other software that auto-syncs such as Vegas or DaVinci (which is free BTW).

The one video editor I never have problems with (so far - one year's use) is Vegas. Any damn file, any damn frame rate and any mix of frame rates and formats. And I haven't had to read any instruction manual yet either!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Bunk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:30 pm

OK, thanks guys; the process is (and this is the way I have always done it without any hitch):
It's a "lockdown" video for a 5-piece band. They send me the track (mp3) via Wetransfer and then each band member sends me their individual "performance". These are done with the song playing in the background but I obviously delete the audio. I sync them up first and then do some creative editing. This is now about the 4th or 5th I've done for them but it's the first one where this has happened.
The details of the real rogue video are:
MP4; Source audio format: 44100. Project audio format: 44100 32-bit floating point stereo. Frame rate 25.
The problem happens at the point of importing.The length of the video at source is 6:15. When it appears in the "Project Assets" box, the length is 7:29. So it's not a case of the change happening once it's in the timeline in that case.
With the other less major one, the length of the source video is simply given as 6:01 and in the project assets box it shows at 6:01:15 so I can't see whether that's significantly different.
So, as I say, the problem seems to be at the importing stage...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby The Bunk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:35 pm

...Thanks RB! That (29 fps into a 25 fps project) doesn't apply with the real rogue video but it does with the lesser of the two....
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:03 pm

It sounds like the mp4 file is being misinterpreted and mis-converted on import. Can you check the mp4 metadata, and/or check the video camera settings on the source musician's phone? It may be recorded at 30fps but is being decoded as 25, so runs long.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Bunk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:05 pm

I think that's it, thanks guys; the original is 29fps but in the project it's been converted to 25. I've got round it with time stretch and it hasn't noticeably altered the imaging. Given that it's a lockdown video it doesn't have to be 100% quality and in fact the more it looks like a home video the better really, up to a point.
The only other thing that may have happened with the original is that it was sent to me as a .MOV file, which Adobe doesn't take. So I asked the guy to send me it in MP4. He converted it using software; is that likely to have contributed to the problem?
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby The Bunk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:12 pm

Just another thing on this; I've done 4 or 5 of these, one of which was a real brute to do and took me getting on for a week. They have offered to pay but as one of them's a mate I said "no need", before they asked me to do a load more. They again offered to pay but for various reasons I don't want to be paid; it changes the nature of the relationship to a business one, it's not technically costing me anything etc etc. And I know they're not earning a lot of money from their music. Most importantly I have NO idea of what an acceptable sort of charge would be anyway...??

All I have said is ..."I drink Kronenbourg"...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:12 pm

The Bunk wrote:...the original is 29fps but in the project it's been converted to 25.

Sounds like its being played at 25 rather than being properly frame-rate converted to 25fps.

So I asked the guy to send me it in MP4. He converted it using software; is that likely to have contributed to the problem?

It's possible, depending on the conversion frame rate settings... But not inherently a problem.
Hugh Robjohns