You are here

Drum Recordings in Mike's Multitrack Library

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Drum Recordings in Mike's Multitrack Library

Postby ITHertz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 am

Hi Folks,

I'm primarily a guitarist. During the last few mixes I've done I've discovered that I need to up my drum mixing game, so I'd like to get some practice mixing a real drum kit.

Just wondering which songs in Mike's Multitrack library would be suitable?

I'm looking for a real kit that's been recorded in a conventional way (e.g. close mics on kick, snare, hat, toms, stereo OHs, Rooms, etc.). Musical style doesn't matter.

I'm also interested in any drum recordings using different approaches (e.g. Glyn Johns, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Re: Drum Recordings in Mike's Multitrack Library

Postby Dan42 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi,

I think Mike said you could search the multitrack library for specific instruments using this search engine https://multitracksearch.cambridge-mt.c ... search.htm

He’s just done a mix breakdown for ‘Magicians Nephew’ some great drums on that.

Dan
Dan42

Postby ITHertz » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:47 am

Dan42 wrote:Hi,

I think Mike said you could search the multitrack library for specific instruments using this search engine https://multitracksearch.cambridge-mt.c ... search.htm" target="phpbbpopup

He’s just done a mix breakdown for ‘Magicians Nephew’ some great drums on that.

Dan

Thanks!
ITHertz
Regular

Postby ITHertz » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:53 am

The search function is certainly helpful as it allows me to narrow down the choice of songs to those that contain a drum kit (88). However, I can't see any way to refine the search e.g. if I'm looking for a particular drum recording method like "Glyn Johns", etc.

Cheers!
ITHertz
Regular

Postby Dan42 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:38 pm

No problem!

I’m not sure about any with ’ Glyn johns’ technique, but you could try emailing Mike through the Cambridge MT site, he’s normally more than happy to help out with questions etc.

Dan
Dan42

Postby ITHertz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:01 am

Dan42 wrote:No problem!

I’m not sure about any with ’ Glyn johns’ technique, but you could try emailing Mike through the Cambridge MT site, he’s normally more than happy to help out with questions etc.

Dan

Yes, I'll try that.

Cheers!
ITHertz
Regular

Postby Mike Senior » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:32 am

Hi Folks -- sorry I didn't catch this one earlier! Chris just mailed me directly, so I replied to him over email. But I figured some other people might find my response useful too. Basically, there is currently no way of searching the multitrack library for this directly at the moment, so it's no possible to differentiate between the virtual-instrument and live-recorded drum kits that way. However, in the first instance, check out any of the multitracks that have been provided by Telefunken (eg. Kat Wright's 'Contact', as those are all live sessions with live drum recordings.

Beyond that, though, off the top of my head here are some other non-Telefunken artists I know have live drums:

Plenty of variety in there -- and also some which are quite challenging (Flags, Blue Lit Moon, Jesper Buhl, Trafficker). A few have spill from other instruments, and some use less usual setups (Impossible Colours has dual overheads, for instance). So, basically, a lot to sink your teeth into! :) You might also want to check out the various related Sound On Sound articles and Cambridge-MT podcast episodes, which provide hands-on advice and audio demonstrations from me about how to approach each specific project's challenges.

Hope that helps!

Mike S.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio

Postby ITHertz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks Mike!
ITHertz
Regular