You are here

Tuning and changing formants on certain words in a vocal?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Tuning and changing formants on certain words in a vocal?

Postby heisintrovert » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi there...Do you know if some producers change or tune certain words separately or phrases when doing work on a vocal?

In melodyne you can change formants, so would it be ok to do work on separate words, to make them sound a bit deeper? Maturish?...not in a noticeable, overly creative and obvious way, but subtle...so you'd think that singer sang it that way?

I watched Josh Gudwin I think talking about equalizing separate words differently on Dua Lipas vocal...
heisintrovert

Re: Tuning and changing formants on certain words in a vocal?

Postby RichardT » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:12 pm

For sure they do.

I don’t think you’ll be able to use Melodyne to make notes sound ‘deeper’ without changing their overall pitch. If you want to bring out the lower frequencies in a voice, your best bet is to use an EQ.

If you want to EQ certain words only, you can use automation to control the EQ or you can split the vocal line across a number of tracks and EQ each track separately.
RichardT
Regular

Postby resistorman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:14 pm

I don’t use auto tune on a whole track, but I will work manually on words or phrases that need a bit of tuning if I like the take. If the whole take has problems, I’ll have them sing it over :) I use Samplitude so it’s easy for me to do it this way, not sure about other DAWs that aren’t object oriented.

There aren’t any laws against changing formants, at least in North Carolina, so have at it!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 pm

heisintrovert wrote:Hi there...Do you know if some producers change or tune certain words separately or phrases when doing work on a vocal?

In melodyne you can change formants, so would it be ok to do work on separate words, to make them sound a bit deeper? Maturish?...not in a noticeable, overly creative and obvious way, but subtle...so you'd think that singer sang it that way?

Absolutely. Though in my experience it's about the occasional fix in an otherwise great take. Your first port of call is always the other takes for a comp. But if the singer has systematically gone wrong in the same point, or sang that particular way just that one take and you love it, you sure head to Melodyne.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Urthlupe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:55 am

RichardT wrote:For sure they do.

I don’t think you’ll be able to use Melodyne to make notes sound ‘deeper’ without changing their overall pitch. If you want to bring out the lower frequencies in a voice, your best bet is to use an EQ.

Actually think I might be misunderstanding you here Richard, so apologies m8 - but using Melodyne (and other softwares) we can of course alter formants in isolation and, (although we’re using subjective terms) that might well make the vocal appear to be ‘deeper’ whilst its perceived pitch remains ‘unaltered’.

:angel:

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby Urthlupe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am

....and yup Mr Introvert - edit as small a clip as you like.... it’s called being creative..... :bouncy:

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:38 pm

Urthlupe wrote:
RichardT wrote:For sure they do.

Actually think I might be misunderstanding you here Richard, so apologies m8 - but using Melodyne (and other softwares) we can of course alter formants in isolation and, (although we’re using subjective terms) that might well make the vocal appear to be ‘deeper’ whilst its perceived pitch remains ‘unaltered’.

:angel:

Loopy

Yes, I understand - but do you really think changing formants could do this?
RichardT
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:50 pm

Reaper's ReaTune plug-in also allows control over formants, useful too if you need to pitch shift a vocal but retain the character of the voice. No reason not to use it the other way around that I can see.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Urthlupe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:05 pm

RichardT wrote:
Urthlupe wrote:Yes, I understand - but do you really think changing formants could do this?

Ain’t a question of thinking m8..... try it :thumbup:

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:07 pm

The other thing that's worth a try if you're looking for a 'deeper' vocal is to duplicate the track (once you've done all your other processing) and the pitch it down an octave. Bring this back in at a really low level and it'll provide a bit of low-end 'heft' without being apparent as a separate part.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby heisintrovert » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks guys for all your replies, you're the best...:)

I guess doing vocals is like painting, or doing a sculpture...first broad strokes, and then you get busy with the minute details.
heisintrovert