You are here

Looking to replicate specific Sound Effect

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Looking to replicate specific Sound Effect

Postby AGLS » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:25 am

Hello, I am working on an FLStudio project where I have been tasked to remake sound effects from old compressed tracks. The sound i want is a strange low "boop"
Heres a link to a short sample
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VJxapn ... sp=sharing

I can't for the life of me figure out quite where I've heard that kind of sound before. My mind tells me its some kind of radar or sonar, but all such effects on the internet I've found are of a high frequency ping. I feel like some specific machine is known for making this low boop noise but if it cant be found, id like to at least know how I can replicate it.
AGLS

Re: Looking to replicate specific Sound Effect

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:45 am

Welcome to the forum!

It's a very short sample but it sounds like music! We could say it starts in E flat major and then changes to a D major.

Do you know know if this is the complete original file? Did it only run for 3 seconds? Was this the original speed and pitch?

Context is important.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:41 am

AGLS wrote:The sound i want is a strange low "boop"

I wouldn't describe that link sample as a 'low boop'. Sounds to me like a speeded up musical chord sequence...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:42 am

Tim Gillett wrote:Context is important.

It would help to identify it. Sounds like a guitar fragment to me. (Mixed with other stuff.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 am

Sounds to me like a phrase from a Vivaldi solo violin piece with delay and, probably, other fx added.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:14 am

Assuming you're talking about the fragment that appears right at the beginning and then again halfway through? I think i'm with Sam that it's something with a fairly slow attack, like a violin or viola, but it could be a guitar played with a thumb and then slowed down?
Sound design isn't really my thing I just had to have a listen after reading all the other descriptions! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:30 am

Given what's playing, I'd go with some kind of violin/string sound through a peaky filter (ie, high resonance exaggerating the low mid range) and it's then distorted further down the chain either by the high levels caused by the resonance, or another distortion effect...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby AGLS » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:39 am

blinddrew wrote:Assuming you're talking about the fragment that appears right at the beginning and then again halfway through?
Yes! I suppose I wasn't clear enough that the higher frequencies and section in the middle aren't relevant. Just the sharp lower mid frequency. It sounds a lot more synthetic to me than a guitar or string. If it help, here is an extended clip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHs8nX ... sp=sharing

The noise starts at 2 seconds and plays 4 times total. Twice before the drop and twice after. I wish i could supply better quality, but such is the purpose of my project. The sources have been lost to time and all that's left are terribly compressed tracks that my small team is trying to faithfully recreate.
AGLS

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:24 am

Like Desmond says it sounds like a violin/viola, but I also hear a single slap back echo.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:31 am

Tim Gillett wrote:Like Desmond says it sounds like a violin/viola, but I also hear a single slap back echo.

Yes, in terms of recreating it, I think Desmond nailed it, plus an echo.
BJG145
Jedi Poster