You are here

Would you please offer some feedback and tips for my mix?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Would you please offer some feedback and tips for my mix?

Postby geryon24 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:35 am

I know 100% that this sounds like garbage and has a lot of work needed. Would you be so kind as to offer some advice? I especially don't like how it sounds when the distorted parts hit. Seems to be missing something.
Feel free to roast the ever loving crap out of this. I have a passion to learn how to make this sound good and I can take the heat. I will crumble this up and throw it in the trash and start over if necessary. Thank you so much for taking the time!
This is just the first mix with nothing on the Master bus.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lygdzum61jwk ... 3.wav?dl=0
geryon24
Poster

Re: Would you please offer some feedback and tips for my mix?

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 am

It's not bad at all. The song is decent and the performance is good.

You have a lot of stray lows cluttering up the mix. You're going to need to sort this out to create space and clarity. Then in the chorus there seems to be a hole between the upper mids and the bass that is leaving the mix sounding a bit 'boom and fizz' with a lack of lower mids to give it solidity.

When the distorted guitar hits it has a resonance in the highs that needs taming. With an electric guitar there's often something in the upper mids that can make it sound 'cheap', and you need to sweep for it and cut it.

But there's a good commercial mix in there if you can help it to shine through.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby geryon24 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:12 pm

I am grateful for the feedback, thank you.

I will look into techniques to get the low end frequencies down and make the guitar sound better!
geryon24
Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:32 pm

geryon24 wrote:I am grateful for the feedback, thank you.

I will look into techniques to get the low end frequencies down and make the guitar sound better!

That's a not a bad effort, given the way you beat yourself up in your first post I was expecting somethign beyhond hope but there is great potentional in the song. The forst thing that occurred to me is that there needs to be some spacing, separaton it almost seems to me as if it is a mono mix. The loud bit especially seems a bit mushy, I would have brought the bass up a bit, get more separation on that lead guitar, it needs to cut through. Although yes on a second read it is clear yiou acknowledge that yourself, but I wouldn't describe it as garbage, you're being a bit hard on yourself there

Considering you appear to be new to all this, possibly on of the most helpful things you could so is take a commercially produced piece of music of the same ilk and try to reproduce that mix
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby geryon24 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:07 pm

Thank you OneWorld! I should edit my post to not be as hard on myself. I appreciate your feedback.
geryon24
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:27 pm

The standard of many of the contributors is so good that it's not surprising to feel self doubt whenever you post anything for comment on here (which is why I hardly ever do so). Your track is good. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby geryon24 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:29 pm

Thanks so much Sam, man you guys are the best. I have had a hard time finding a community lately that will help me out and is willing to teach and encourage. I am so grateful for you all!
geryon24
Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 pm

I felt the whole mix was somewhat 'middly' sounding. On my monitors I was craving a lot more bass and a bit more in the hit hat/cymbals department, for example. The domination in the mid range ie the guitars makes the mix feel almost claustrophobic and a little flat, lacking both oomph and sizzle. If this were my own mix, the first thing I would do is bung an EQ across the stereo out and have a play around with cutting somewhere around the 200-500hz area and see if that opens up the soundscape, then looking to boost the drums and the bass. Hope this helps!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby RichardT » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:25 pm

Fantastic singing - it really is good. I think the song is good - my only feeling is that there is a bit too much 'material' in it (ie too many different musical ideas) but that's a matter of personal taste. I think that the vocal harmonies in the mid section don't quite work.

To my ears the whole thing sounds a bit 'recessed' - there isn't a lot of presence in the voice the cymbals sound like they are missing high frequencies, and the drums sound distant.

I agree with another poster that the mix sounds kind of mono too.

But it's got a lot of potential to be a great track. There are some really good musical ideas there. Try out the fixes people have been suggesting and I think you'll be well on the way.
RichardT
Regular
Samplehound-website My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.