You are here

Help me find a suitable stereo mixer...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Help me find a suitable stereo mixer...

Postby Fureniku » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello everyone!

So, this isn't quite something used for music production so to speak, but I figured you guys will have the most experience and be best fitted to guide me. It's a hardware question so hopefully I've picked the right place, but if not I'm happy for the thread to move.

Basically, I'm looking for a mixer with three Stereo inputs, and two busses/stereo outputs. I don't need FX, EQ or any of that other fancy stuff. Size (smaller = better) and price are both an object. Ideally I want a single volume control per channel (I've seen some with individual left/right controls which would annoy me) but its not a total deal-breaker for the right device, as I probably wont adjust things on the mixer beyond the master out all that often.
A fourth stereo in would be a nice bonus, but I can always unplug the 3.5mm device and steal its input if I need to switch, as that won't be used all that much.

Some background on what I need it for which might help suggestions?
Basically, I want to be able to hear sound from my PC, from my external 3.5mm device, and from my guitar amp modeller (Line 6 Pod Pro HD X), both through my external speakers, or a USB-based headset, depending on my situation. The USB headset is probably the problem here, but I needed a headset which was wireless with a mic and this was about as good as I could get.

Currently, the USB headset has a little box on my desk, which has a line in and a line out (as well as a USB connection where it gets the PC from). The headset can play the line in sound in the headset, but NOT through the line out. When the headset is off, the PC goes to the line out. SO, my thinking is, this three channel mixer would have my PC (from the box's line out), the 3.5mm device and the guitar amp as inputs. It'd send all three to one bus for my speakers, and just the 3.5mm and amp to a second bus, which goes into the boxes line in, into my headphones.

I'm not sure if that makes sense so here's an incredible paint diagram which will either make things more or less confusing:

Any help very much appreciated!

Thanks
Fureniku

Re: Help me find a suitable stereo mixer...

Postby ef37a » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:26 pm

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/wharfedale- ... BQQAvD_BwE

That ^ is very similar to a Wharfedale mixer I have except mine has 4 stereo inputs plus two mono mic/lne inputs. Mine does not have phantom power, that one might but it looks as though you don't need mic ins anyway? Sadly my mixer seems discontinued, I cannot find one.

It does not have a second output bus but since in your drawing you are just duplicating the stereo mix you could use the RCA outs. The RCA ins give you the optional fourth stereo input.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Fureniku » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36 pm

ef37a wrote:https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/wharfedale-connect-802-mixing-desk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw9vn4BRBaEiwAh0muDPnfwKjK1WZKRe_G9POVakLQR04iB2AQEkf6IynNlVVqCWvSa72YMBoCQBQQAvD_BwE

That ^ is very similar to a Wharfedale mixer I have except mine has 4 stereo inputs plus two mono mic/lne inputs. Mine does not have phantom power, that one might but it looks as though you don't need mic ins anyway? Sadly my mixer seems discontinued, I cannot find one.

It does not have a second output bus but since in your drawing you are just duplicating the stereo mix you could use the RCA outs. The RCA ins give you the optional fourth stereo input.

Dave.

You've actually raised a good point there, I don't need two busses at all. I was worried that the line out from the headphones into the mixer and then back into the line in would cause a feedback loop, but actually the whole root of my problem is that I can't play the line in through the line out (else I could just send everything to line in and have speakers on line out and save myself £50-100).

That's certainly an option to consider but I'll have another look around now that I've realised this.
Fureniku

Postby fatbenelton » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:00 pm

I'm not 100% sure what the USB box is? Audio interface or merely a box for the headphones? In any case a small mixer/audio interface may let you ditch it...something like the TC Blender?

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/TC-Heli ... 013904-000

If not then there are plenty of cheap, small mixers.

Jon
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby ef37a » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 am

Hi Jon, yes I have to confess I took the headphone icon to just mean passive headphones.

The fact that it is a wireless headset with a USB interface box complicates the issue and it would seem that the OP does not have a conventional USB interface in the system?

We need I think the make and model of the headset and its box and a rather clearer understanding of the role of the microphone?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster