You are here

Please recommend noise reducer plugin for Protools

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Please recommend noise reducer plugin for Protools

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:24 am

I sometimes need to reduce the recorded hiss and noise from some tracks.

I have sounds that I pull of off cassette tapes and would like to remove the tape hiss before using in the DAW.

I also sometimes record something where I was not able to (or just forgot to) reduce the hum or hiss from something in the patch so the extra noise gets recorded.

I have been using the Audacity noise remover and that has worked great for me. You bring it the audio, find a piece of just noise to train Audacity and it removes the noise from the rest of the track.

But I would like to stay inside Protools to do this but have the same capability.

I have Waves Platinum but it has no noise reducer in my bundle.

I can use VST plugins too in Protools.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Re: Please recommend noise reducer plugin for Protools

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:42 am

Izotope RX Elements is only $29 at the moment and includes Voice Denoise which might work although I use Spectral Denoise in the standard version which is the best noise reduction I've used (though I haven't used Cedar).

However, if you are happy with the noise reduction in Audacity (which was pretty basic last time I tried it) you may be happy with using ReaFIR which is available separately from Reaper in their Reaplugs package.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:44 am

I think Izotope RX Elements is on sale for $29 at the moment. The noise removal tool in that is pretty good I reckon - I use it a lot on the video stuff I do for work.

[Edit - beaten by the mods again!]
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:45 pm

Must... resist... :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 pm

I wouldn't try, for $29 it's a steal. Especially if you ever have to work with stuff recorded and sent to you by other people... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ian Shaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Have a look at Accusonus.
https://accusonus.com/products/audio-repair/era-bundle-standard#noise-remover-anchor
One knob noise reducer that I've used very successfully before. Buy one, get one free atm.
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 pm

blinddrew wrote:I wouldn't try, for $29 it's a steal. Especially if you ever have to work with stuff recorded and sent to you by other people... ;)

That's actually happening more and more in these coronavirus times.. gotta think..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:14 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:I sometimes need to reduce the recorded hiss and noise from some tracks.

In understand Elements is likely better and right now costs less, but staying with Waves I've good results often with their X-Noise plug.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:30 pm

CS70 wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:I sometimes need to reduce the recorded hiss and noise from some tracks.

In understand Elements is likely better and right now costs less, but staying with Waves I've good results often with their X-Noise plug.

The samples I've heard of X-Noise processing have been on a par with Audacity and ReaFIR which are easily beaten by Adobe Audition which, in turn, is beaten by RX when it comes to noise reduction.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 pm

James Perrett wrote:
CS70 wrote:

The samples I've heard of X-Noise processing have been on a par with Audacity and ReaFIR which are easily beaten by Adobe Audition which, in turn, is beaten by RX when it comes to noise reduction.

Yeah nothing to say about that - the stuff I've used with was generally not very noisy to start with. And I just looked and it's more expensive than Elements.. but sometimes with Waves you have a free plugin or two coupon code from past purchases..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:08 am

One problem I have run into with the Audacity noise reducer is hopefully something that these others are better at? Please let me know.

Lets say I have the hum and hiss from say a guitar amp in the track. Steady, just always there.

And lets say the sound is a percussion piece, like a tambourine recorded in a live room so it has some reverb or was recorded with reverb applied.

What happens is that Audacity removes the noise. But when the tambourine reverberates, the reverb will stop abruptly as it tails off. My sense is that the reverb blends into the noise and gets deleted when it hits a threshold.

Some of the stuff I am pulling off old cassettes is great stuff but it's like that with reverb on it and noise at the same time.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:34 am

DC-Choppah wrote:One problem I have run into with the Audacity noise reducer is hopefully something that these others are better at? Please let me know.

Lets say I have the hum and hiss from say a guitar amp in the track. Steady, just always there.

And lets say the sound is a percussion piece, like a tambourine recorded in a live room so it has some reverb or was recorded with reverb applied.

What happens is that Audacity removes the noise. But when the tambourine reverberates, the reverb will stop abruptly as it tails off. My sense is that the reverb blends into the noise and gets deleted when it hits a threshold.

Some of the stuff I am pulling off old cassettes is great stuff but it's like that with reverb on it and noise at the same time.

Yes the denoiser acts on thresholds. Sound below the threshold is reduced or removed. For what else can the tool do? Just have a realistic expectation of the tool.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:14 am

Ok, I got the Izotope RX Elements.

Learning how to use it.

The de-noiser sounds very good. But it changes the level of the output and you seem to have to manually adjust the make-up gain to get it to stay the same as it was originally?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 am

Well if it there's a lot of noise and it's removed then of course the average level may go down. But maybe its also removing wanted music? There should be a check box to listen to "what has been removed".
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Zukan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:21 pm

James Perrett wrote:I use Spectral Denoise in the standard version which is the best noise reduction I've used (though I haven't used Cedar).

I second that James. Damn good sofwtare for silly money.
Zukan

Next