You are here

Sound designers thread

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Sound designers thread

Postby Nonpqlolzx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:25 am

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here. I hope I'll find here what I'm looking for and become part of this community!
I'm 22. Half of a year ago I started composing beats on my DAW (fl studio). I'd never been trying to do something like this before. I really liked composing and bought my first studio headphones, and I was just shocked by how cool do they sound. After that purchase, I became completely absorbed into the world of sounds.
After that, I discovered sound design, and here is the starting point of my question. Since there is very little info about sound design in Russian(I'm from Russia, sorry for my bad English, btw) the only way for me to get knowledge and to reach my goals is to search info on such English-speaking resources. Please help me to clarify the next:

1. What skills must-have for sound-designer?
What should I learn to become a sound-designer? What does sound-designers do in their work time? What soft(including DAW) should I learn? What tasks should I be able to carry out in my future work? What to start with?
2. Which branch of sound design is better to start with? (Movie/games/animation clips/tv/e.t.c.)
3. What literature(youtube channels or any other sources) can you recommend?
I've started reading Ric Viers' "the sound effects bible". It's quite difficult to read in English, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle. Also, I found Hans Zimmer's video lessons and I'm going to start learning them.
4. How can I practice my skills?
What tasks should I carry out to feel confident about my progress? What're the easiest tasks of sound designer?

I know that these questions look silly, but I'm just trying to understand how long is my way. How long it'll take for me to become a sound-designer. I'm trying to understand is it possible to become a self-taught sound-designer. I appreciate any piece of advice, so feel free to drop a line in this thread. Thanks!
Nonpqlolzx

Re: Sound designers thread

Postby CS70 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi and welcome!

I know very little of sound design so will let others reply, but be assured your questions aren't silly at all.

As for reading English, it's invaluable as most proper sources are in that language. By personal experience, it's hard at start if it's not your mother tongue, but practice helps and soon becomes a breeze.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:59 am

There are a lot of questions there, but all I can say is that the roles and functions of a "sound designer" aren’t as well defined as you think they are, those words cover many areas, music, theatre, art installations, TV, radio, and many more.
We are all "sound designers" in a way, when you make your beats you are designing sound, also, the roles terms and definitions within sound and music making these days are very blurred, and they will cross over sometimes.
As for a pathway, just continue to learn your DAW, learn different types of synthesis, experiment with microphones and the recording of acoustic sounds and instruments, eventually you will gravitate to what you find the most interesting.
I can recommend Reaktor, it’s a great program, but there are many others to choose from, also there is a very interesting guy on YouTube that has a great portfolio of videos about his work, and his commissions, you may find him interesting,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeovElJP0n0i8ADaPsRSd8g

Hope this is helpful.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:54 pm

Nonpqlolzx wrote:What soft(including DAW) should I learn?

I'm not a sound designer but I just wanted to pick up on this. I'd suggest learning the principles rather than which buttons to press in a particular program. I've always found that having a thorough knowledge of the basic ideas has helped be learn to use any software.

Another thing I'd suggest is maybe teaming up with someone who is interested in the visual side of things and producing some short videos that show off both your skill as a sound designer and their skill as a visual designer.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Nonpqlolzx » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:14 am

Arpangel wrote:There are a lot of questions there, but all I can say is that the roles and functions of a "sound designer" aren’t as well defined as you think they are, those words cover many areas, music, theatre, art installations, TV, radio, and many more.
We are all "sound designers" in a way, when you make your beats you are designing sound, also, the roles terms and definitions within sound and music making these days are very blurred, and they will cross over sometimes.
As for a pathway, just continue to learn your DAW, learn different types of synthesis, experiment with microphones and the recording of acoustic sounds and instruments, eventually you will gravitate to what you find the most interesting.
I can recommend Reaktor, it’s a great program, but there are many others to choose from, also there is a very interesting guy on YouTube that has a great portfolio of videos about his work, and his commissions, you may find him interesting,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeovElJP0n0i8ADaPsRSd8g

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check this channel. I understand that there is no strict definition of sound-designer. I think the most preferable sphere for me is making sound design for animation clips/movies/games. I'd like to read your thoughts on this, thanks

James Perrett wrote:
Nonpqlolzx wrote:What soft(including DAW) should I learn?

Another thing I'd suggest is maybe teaming up with someone who is interested in the visual side of things and producing some short videos that show off both your skill as a sound designer and their skill as a visual designer.

That's a nice idea, thank you! I think it's a very good option for practicing skills.
Nonpqlolzx

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi Nonpqlolzx, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I'm a sound designer, and the best advice I can give is just to explore anything that interests you, since this in turn will expand your knowledge and experience.

With that in mind, here's an SOS Forum thread that I started years ago to keep sound designers interested:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 23&t=19152

Hope you enjoy it - there's LOADS of interesting links in there to explore.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Nonpqlolzx » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:01 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Nonpqlolzx, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I'm a sound designer, and the best advice I can give is just to explore anything that interests you, since this in turn will expand your knowledge and experience.

With that in mind, here's an SOS Forum thread that I started years ago to keep sound designers interested:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 23&t=19152

Hope you enjoy it - there's LOADS of interesting links in there to explore.

Martin

Hi Martin! Thanks for the welcome and for sharing the thread. I hope I'll find many interesting there. Subscribed, of course!
Nonpqlolzx