You are here

Adding noise.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Adding noise.

Postby N i g e l » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:39 am

It is a very subtle difference !
I would have maybe roughed up the font outline with somthing like a tiny amount of Filter>brush strokes>spatter.
Maybe thats a bit too much.

NOTE: in the UK, Silver Spoon is well known in the supermarket for their bags of sugar!
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm
Location: UK

Re: Adding noise.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Look on it as free advertising CS ;)
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13277
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Adding noise.

Postby CS70 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:39 pm

N i g e l wrote:It is a very subtle difference !
I would have maybe roughed up the font outline with somthing like a tiny amount of Filter>brush strokes>spatter.
Maybe thats a bit too much.

I'll give it a shot!

NOTE: in the UK, Silver Spoon is well known in the supermarket for their bags of sugar!

Ahah, well I do like coffee :D
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6017
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Adding noise.

Postby TomChimera » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:48 am

Back to the OP's post, working on digital low noise environments for long time made me forget how much I loved "noise", especially recorded natural ambiences, just rich harmonic content that gives context and color if you will to everything.. like tailored character..
Thanks for the inspiration to go back to it!
But this time more intentionally and artistically..
TomChimera
Poster
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 am

Re: Adding noise.

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm

TomChimera wrote:Back to the OP's post, working on digital low noise environments for long time made me forget how much I loved "noise", especially recorded natural ambiences, just rich harmonic content that gives context and color if you will to everything.. like tailored character..
Thanks for the inspiration to go back to it!
But this time more intentionally and artistically..

Well natural ambience and system noise are very different things. One of the reasons the really old recordings are so hard to listen to is because there is often no ambience, and even the quieter parts of the performance are also buried under system noise.

Unless I misunderstand, it's the opposite of what you say. The low noise of modern recordings (whether digital or analog) has allowed us to capture the full performance in all its richness including quieter detail and natural ambience.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2212
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Adding noise.

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:
TomChimera wrote:Back to the OP's post, working on digital low noise environments for long time made me forget how much I loved "noise", especially recorded natural ambiences, just rich harmonic content that gives context and color if you will to everything.. like tailored character..
Thanks for the inspiration to go back to it!
But this time more intentionally and artistically..

Well natural ambience and system noise are very different things. One of the reasons the really old recordings are so hard to listen to is because there is often no ambience, and even the quieter parts of the performance are also buried under system noise.

Unless I misunderstand, it's the opposite of what you say. The low noise of modern recordings (whether digital or analog) has allowed us to capture the full performance in all its richness including quieter detail and natural ambience.

Right on Tim. Reason I guess that the 'classical' recording industry pounced on digital as soon as it could?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11962
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Adding noise.

Postby TomChimera » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:Well natural ambience and system noise are very different things. One of the reasons the really old recordings are so hard to listen to is because there is often no ambience, and even the quieter parts of the performance are also buried under system noise.

Unless I misunderstand, it's the opposite of what you say. The low noise of modern recordings (whether digital or analog) has allowed us to capture the full performance in all its richness including quieter detail and natural ambience.

Interesting, what I meant was, that we used to have fun recording on different things, cassettes, tapes, stuff recorded through improvised preamps and mics, and it had lots of system noise,

Also, we use to record ambiences like street and the sea and add it too,

It was actually created with basic old DAW...

Technically you are right, I just generally call it all "noisy" both from the devices and the added ambiences..

In recent years everything sounds clean and I miss this mess and will experiment with adding it again in an updated relevant way...
TomChimera
Poster
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 am

Re: Adding noise.

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:56 pm

ef37a wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:
TomChimera wrote:Back to the OP's post, working on digital low noise environments for long time made me forget how much I loved "noise", especially recorded natural ambiences, just rich harmonic content that gives context and color if you will to everything.. like tailored character..
Thanks for the inspiration to go back to it!
But this time more intentionally and artistically..

Well natural ambience and system noise are very different things. One of the reasons the really old recordings are so hard to listen to is because there is often no ambience, and even the quieter parts of the performance are also buried under system noise.

Unless I misunderstand, it's the opposite of what you say. The low noise of modern recordings (whether digital or analog) has allowed us to capture the full performance in all its richness including quieter detail and natural ambience.

Right on Tim. Reason I guess that the 'classical' recording industry pounced on digital as soon as it could?

Dave.

Yes and because they knew the classical record buying public would pounce on it too, plus being able to listen to up to 74 minutes of straight performance, compared to only about 25 minutes per LP side.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2212
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Adding noise.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:
TomChimera wrote:Back to the OP's post, working on digital low noise environments for long time made me forget how much I loved "noise", especially recorded natural ambiences, just rich harmonic content that gives context and color if you will to everything.. like tailored character..
Thanks for the inspiration to go back to it!
But this time more intentionally and artistically..

Well natural ambience and system noise are very different things. One of the reasons the really old recordings are so hard to listen to is because there is often no ambience, and even the quieter parts of the performance are also buried under system noise.

Unless I misunderstand, it's the opposite of what you say. The low noise of modern recordings (whether digital or analog) has allowed us to capture the full performance in all its richness including quieter detail and natural ambience.

Digital recordings shouldn’t have a character, and yes, they are better at capturing ambience, cylinders, tape, 78 rpm discs are all flawed mediums because of the noise and character they impart. What I’m saying, is that we can ad this noise to give a particular character as required, or, create our own textures to embellish our recordings.
I think adding the noise of a particular medium has become a bit of a cliche today, I’m more interested in creating my own imperfect worlds, using noise of my own making, to try and somehow "f**k with the fabric of time" as Tony Visconti would say.

:D
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4914
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Adding noise.

Postby TomChimera » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:23 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m more interested in creating my own imperfect worlds, using noise of my own making

Nicely said, Wabi sabi :thumbup:
Another related example, I am making Snare samples for EDM artists, and for the snare wires/rattle/noise so many beautiful things are possible for this function..
TomChimera
Poster
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 am

Re: Adding noise.

Postby SimonZ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Now we are back on the original topic :lol:

A little noise goes a long way, quite possibly we like it because of stochastic resonance.

I first came across this term back in the 80's, a study about crayfish being more able to detect low frequency vibration from aproaching predatory pike when being near a noise source such as waterfall or weir.

I guess our brains might too indulge in this in some way or another.

Just a couple of search finds here......

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Sto ... _resonance

http://faculty.sites.uci.edu/hesplab/fi ... -noise.pdf

Some more digging might find some music specific papers.

EDIT!
Seems audio noise can change our visual and touch perception too !! very odd
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0002860
User avatar
SimonZ
Regular
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Portsmouth UK
 

Re: Adding noise.

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:42 pm

TomChimera wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:Well natural ambience and system noise are very different things. One of the reasons the really old recordings are so hard to listen to is because there is often no ambience, and even the quieter parts of the performance are also buried under system noise.

Unless I misunderstand, it's the opposite of what you say. The low noise of modern recordings (whether digital or analog) has allowed us to capture the full performance in all its richness including quieter detail and natural ambience.

Interesting, what I meant was, that we used to have fun recording on different things, cassettes, tapes, stuff recorded through improvised preamps and mics, and it had lots of system noise,

Also, we use to record ambiences like street and the sea and add it too,

It was actually created with basic old DAW...

Technically you are right, I just generally call it all "noisy" both from the devices and the added ambiences..

In recent years everything sounds clean and I miss this mess and will experiment with adding it again in an updated relevant way...

Nope, don't get that world at all. My recording experience well pre dates cassette and when I started assisting in the recording of "serious" acoustic material (am drams and gang shows) one of the first things I made was a DC heated triode mixer with RadSpad mic traffs. At least that was quieter than the tape, even at 15ips!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11962
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Adding noise.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 pm

TomChimera wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m more interested in creating my own imperfect worlds, using noise of my own making

Nicely said, Wabi sabi :thumbup:
Another related example, I am making Snare samples for EDM artists, and for the snare wires/rattle/noise so many beautiful things are possible for this function..

Ad some radical time stretching to those snares, and my good friend, the play slider in Reaper.

:)
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4914
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Adding noise.

Postby N i g e l » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:02 pm

Music for Airports by Brian Eno.....

I have two different versions of this on CD, Eno - electro & hissy, Bang on a Can - classical & clean.

My listening decision CD selection is not only based on whether I want electro or accoustic but also on noisy or clean.

I think it comes across on uTube....

Eno : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwYtllyt3Q
B.O.A.C : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWXAP_L3pZg
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm
Location: UK

Re: Adding noise.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:35 am

N i g e l wrote:Music for Airports by Brian Eno.....

I have two different versions of this on CD, Eno - electro & hissy, Bang on a Can - classical & clean.

My listening decision CD selection is not only based on whether I want electro or accoustic but also on noisy or clean.

I think it comes across on uTube....

Eno : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwYtllyt3Q
B.O.A.C : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWXAP_L3pZg

Those Eno ambient recordings changed my life, it was the first time I’d heard really long artificial reverbs and delays, it was when early digital processors first came out, like the Lexicon 224 reverb and Prime Time delay, I though "what on earth made that sound"
Of course, it was only people like Eno and other wealthy musicians who could afford to use them, and that sound wasn’t easily obtainable for most of us.
Those units were noisy along with tape, but I heard Eno say at one point that when digital came out it really changed his life as it was perfectly suited to his music, suddenly low level information didn’t disappear in a fog of hiss.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4914
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Previous