You are here

DAC/AMP for DT990 PRO?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

DAC/AMP for DT990 PRO?

Postby ShawnMayer899 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:38 am

Hey all,

I have been scouring the forums here for an answer to the above, and have gotten many, many varying responses.

What is clear is that my choices have come down the the following:

- Schiit Magni 2 / Modi 2
- Audioengine D1
- O2+ODAC
- Fiio E10k

I simply want to ensure get the best sound quality for the lowest price as well as ensuring they can drive my DT-990 Pro 250ohm which arrive in a few days.
I will be exclusively using these cans for Movies, TV and Gaming. I do not require any features such as virtual surround sound or the ability to hook up speakers.

Can anyone recommend the best solution for my needs?

Any suggestions / help would be gratefully appreciated :)
ShawnMayer899

Re: DAC/AMP for DT990 PRO?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:52 am

The thing that makes a difference with relatively high impedance phones such as these (at 250 Ohms) is the voltage swing of the amplifier, and you get a bigger voltage swing, generally, with mains powered amplifiers as they tend to run off higher internal voltage rails.

Your shortlist of headphone amps appear to all be USB-powered devices, and they will be using internal DC-DC converters to generate the required voltage rails, but the chances are they won't be as high as a mains-powered unit would typically be.

That said, the actual performance difference is not going to be huge and I'm sure these are all competent DAC /amps in their own right.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:19 am

Do you own a sound card?
Zukan

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:16 pm

ShawnMayer899 wrote:I simply want to ensure get the best sound quality for the lowest price as well as ensuring they can drive my DT-990 Pro 250ohm which arrive in a few days.

Well, I guess you will get varying responses everywhere, but I've used these DT headphones for many years for mixing (before switching to my current model), with several types of audio interfaces, and I've never felt that they needed anything special to be driven. Granted, when you mix you do not listen very loud in average... but if I wanted, I could.

If you're thinking computer motherboard outs things may be different of course. But talking external amplifiers, my impression is that most would do fine.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:01 am

Point of information:

The O2/ODAC is wall wart powered.

I've not done any kind of A/B on this but can confirm that it sounds class. I bought it on a whim and haven't regretted it.

Not very objective but it wasn't part of an extended quest for perfection, just seemed like a good idea at the time.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.