You are here

"When one looks for a mixing engineer..."

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: "When one looks for a mixing engineer..."

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:21 am

blinddrew wrote:Stems are a collection of audio tracks bussed together in logical groups.
So rather than getting separate kick, snare, toms, overheads etc tracks for a drumkit, you get a Drums stem, which is a (generally) stereo file with all those drum tracks pre-mixed.
That's been my understanding since way back in the 1990s when I first heard the term used.

But it's become corrupted to the point where the word no longer carries any shortcut benefits. Invariably an explanation has to follow.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Zukan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:00 am

The Elf wrote:I provide examples, and I'm always prepared to discount the cost of a first mix. After that it's 'only pay if you're 100% happy'. There's no need to feel guilty when your mix engineer offers these things.

I cannot recommend this Jedi council member enough. Elf is not only extremely proficient in all areas of audio recording/production, he is also one of the nicest blokes around and someone I am proud to call a friend.

His works speak for themselves. Message him and start dialogue that you will benefit from irrespective of the whether you hire him or not.
Zukan

Postby Kwackman » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:28 am

The term is also used in post production for TV and films, and I THINK (I've no objective evidence) the term was used there first?

Delivery specs for TV (Documentaries etc) usually are
Main mix, plus stems for...
M&E (Music & FX) mix,
Dialogue mix,
VO (narrator) mix,
and sometimes separate stems for music mix and FX mix.

Those M+E, Music and FX stems are sometimes dipped for the VO but not dialogue, sometimes dipped for VO and dialogue, or undipped.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Previous