You are here

Anyone else's Neumann KH80 randomly reset themselves?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Anyone else's Neumann KH80 randomly reset themselves?

Postby Marbury » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:11 pm

Almost pulled the trigger on ordering these over my old Spirit Absolute 2s but reading the above experiences I think I'll pass.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:27 pm

I think you'll find a lot more happy customers than ones with issues. Get the signal level driving the speaker in the ballpark and it's highly unlikely you'd have a problem,
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Jorge » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:35 pm

Is there any downside to just not using the auto power feature and turning your whole system on before you use it and off when you finish? I do that with my KH120s and have never had a problem.
Jorge
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:37 pm

None at all.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Jorge » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:53 pm

Great, thanks. I like the KH120s a lot but am considering getting the KH80s instead of KH120s for a small video studio at work. From all the reviews and discussion it seems the KH80s excel in the sound department but have had some issues in the clever digital trickery department.
Jorge
Regular

Postby jjtmd » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:33 pm

I just purchased a pair of KH 80 monitors, they sound great, but my comments are regarding the auto standby feature, local control.
From the start one of the units failed to ever go into standby mode, ie the white light remained lit hours after I turned off my Apollo Twin. The other monitor shut itself down after roughly 90 minutes (white light not lit). So I swapped the two boxes, without swapping the input cords or power cords. In the new position the monitor still failed to power itself down (white light remained lit at all times).
As an aside, I'm grateful I don't have the opposite problem as reported above whereby the monitor shuts itself off while in playback mode, that would be intolerable. My issue is annoying, one feels that for the money spent the unit should function as designed, after all, the other monitor does.
The tech support at Sweetwater were kind enough to send a replacement, and guess what? A variation of the same problem, again I'm happy it doesn't ever reset itself during playback. But it does display a weird tendency to intermittently go to stand by appropriately, other times the white light remains lit, for hours. There's no pattern I can discern. Again, I swapped the boxes and the replacement monitor does the same thing in the new position on the desk.
To be clear, I am not attached to a network, this is a local control issue.
So it seems the problem has to do with threshold settings, both to power down to auto stand by, and for some unlucky customers, to fail to remain on despite a strong input.
Thoughts anyone?
jjtmd

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:46 pm

I wonder if there is ground noise or interference causing the shutdown detector to keep retriggering?

Do the two monitors still behave so differently if you disconnect the audio cables from their inputs?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jjtmd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:06 pm

If I pull the input cable from the monitor that keeps waking up inappropriately, it stays asleep, so yes, I think you are correct. This morning when I got up the monitor was in standby (white light not lit). A few minutes later I walked by my desk and noticed it had woken up (white light lit), so I wonder if that had something to do with turning on lights elsewhere in the house? Tomorrow AM I will check out that possibility.
jjtmd

Previous