You are here

Mix Rescue 911, Can you help me?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mix Rescue 911, Can you help me?

Postby geryon24 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Hey everyone. Trying to mix my own album and would like to get some input if anyone could spare a moment.

A month or so ago, this was my mix https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgs2s2qv7tyzs ... o.wav?dl=0

This is where I am now https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbiyb8pihqjfp ... 9.wav?dl=0

Thank you for your time!

-Chris
geryon24
Poster

Re: Mix Rescue 911, Can you help me?

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:22 am

As far as the sound goes, the drums sound two dimensional to me. In general the parts all feel isolated from each other, not really a blend.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:34 am

Nice track, and a really good vocal performance!

The newer mix is also a lot better than the older one, which is encouraging. In fact, to me, it's reached the point where the main thing that's holding it back is the programmed drums, which just sound stiff and robotic. If I were you I'd be looking for a good online session drummer who can lay down some real parts for you.
Sam Inglis

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Just had a couple of listens on this and have to agree with the above. The drums, particularly last third are just a bit too relentless and it doesn't quite sound like it's all sitting in the same place. Almost like it's a live vocal recording over a pre-mixed backing track.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby geryon24 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:19 pm

"As far as the sound goes, the drums sound two dimensional to me. In general the parts all feel isolated from each other, not really a blend."
Thank you for the input! Could you please offer some suggestions as to how I can make this piece feel better blended?

"Just had a couple of listens on this and have to agree with the above. The drums, particularly last third are just a bit too relentless and it doesn't quite sound like it's all sitting in the same place. Almost like it's a live vocal recording over a pre-mixed backing track."
I appreciate the feedback. Is there any insight you could offer as to what I should do to make it all sound like it's sitting in the same place? And by the drums being too relentless, do you mean it's just too obviously robotic because it's the same pattern for too many bars?

"The newer mix is also a lot better than the older one, which is encouraging. In fact, to me, it's reached the point where the main thing that's holding it back is the programmed drums, which just sound stiff and robotic. If I were you I'd be looking for a good online session drummer who can lay down some real parts for you."
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I would love to be able to get real drums more than anything. But I am in North America unfortunately and the ravages of the pandemic have kept me from making a decent income for quite a while now. Money is super tight, that's one of the reasons I am so passionate and driven to produce this album myself.

A couple of weeks ago I actually paid to get this song mixed. Here is what the producer sent back to me https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdj0ihe7oij98 ... d.wav?dl=0
I feel like I could get mine sounding at least this good with just a couple more Eureka! moments and hard work. I want this so bad I can taste it.

Thanks again everyone for your willingness to assist me.

-Chris
geryon24
Poster

Postby Kwackman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:34 pm

geryon24 wrote:A couple of weeks ago I actually paid to get this song mixed.

I obviously don't know how much that cost you, but maybe it would be worthwhile buying an on-line tutorial or two from one of the well known guys on this site instead?
Zukan and the Elf spring to mind, but there are others too.

You'd learn skills specific to your needs and maybe would give you a bigger bang for your buck than paying someone else to mix it?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby geryon24 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:36 pm

That would be most excellent. I would love nothing more than that. I will shout out to The Elf.
geryon24
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:53 pm

I don't think you've been shafted, but I do recommend a session with the Elf because, as you say, you're not far off. :thumbup:

As to your question about getting different parts sounding like they're sitting in the same place, are you using a send to global reverb? That sounds like one of the things your paid mixer has done (very brief listen only I'm afraid).
I'll generally have a few reverbs in a mix, some doing very specific jobs on specific instruments, but I'll always (always? Yeah, probably. Can't think of a case when I haven't) have a room reverb that everything goes through (via some delays for front-back depth) before being sent to the master bus. I'll then balance the amount of instrument-specific reverb with the room reverb to get things how I want them.
Apologies if any of that is teaching you to suck eggs. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 pm

geryon24 wrote:...and the mix I bought. It's not very good, is it? I'm afraid I got shafted a bit...

I felt that mix was pretty good considering the other version that I've heard. The mixer has taken all the positives (like the strong vocal performance) and minimised the negatives (like the robotic drums) to come up with something that sounds far more cohesive and also interesting enough to keep me listening for much longer than your mix did.

Sound wise it may not be as hifi as your mix but in this case hifi isn't what is needed. With this style of music you need to feel that everything is struggling to be heard and the skill of the mixer is allowing you to hear the right part at the right time - but not have it overpowering all the other elements.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby geryon24 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:00 pm

I actually have no Reverb in that mix except on the ezdrummer where it is built in.

Probably one of the problems huh? haha
geryon24
Poster

Postby geryon24 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:03 pm

James Perrett wrote:
geryon24 wrote:...and the mix I bought. It's not very good, is it? I'm afraid I got shafted a bit...

I felt that mix was pretty good considering the other version that I've heard. The mixer has taken all the positives (like the strong vocal performance) and minimised the negatives (like the robotic drums) to come up with something that sounds far more cohesive and also interesting enough to keep me listening for much longer than your mix did.

Sound wise it may not be as hifi as your mix but in this case hifi isn't what is needed. With this style of music you need to feel that everything is struggling to be heard and the skill of the mixer is allowing you to hear the right part at the right time - but not have it overpowering all the other elements.

Thank you for your feedback. I would never pretend that I am at nearly the same level of skill as this mixer. I did not mean to come off as disrespectful to his craft but I am afraid I did.
I guess in honesty I just didn't feel like it was worth the price, but if you guys think it sounds strong, I am more than happy to be wrong.
geryon24
Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:24 pm

James Perrett wrote:

Completely agree.
Sam Inglis

Postby CS70 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 pm

geryon24 wrote:I actually have no Reverb in that mix except on the ezdrummer where it is built in.

Probably one of the problems huh? haha

Probably. :D Just listened on cans only, but what struck me immediately is that in your mix the drums seem to be in front of the vocalist. From the first drum hit, the mixing engineer's version has them further back, where they belong (because the track is of a type where people get an idea on where things usually are) so it immediately feels more realistic and "right".

You've got to think of a mix in terms of left/right but also front/back, and even up/downs at times :) Reverbs and delays help with that, since that's how our ears perceive position - difference in the timing the same sound reaches our ears.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page