You are here

'Home cinema' with active monitors

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 'Home cinema' with active monitors

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 pm

ef37a wrote:...can find nothing in the way of a pre-amp with balanced outputs.

Only the high-end hi-fi people and pro gear will offer balanced outputs. But the Result 6s will be quite happy with unbalanced inputs in a domestic situation.

Modern amps all seem to be equipped with Blue Teeth but no phono RIAA inputs and I would like to integrate my Rega Planar TT into the setup.

There are plenty of affordable stand-alone phono preamps that you can use to bridge the gap between phono pickup and line input. The Rega Fono MM for example (£200).
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:09 pm

Stuff that! I am not paying 200 sovs for a few transistors and caps to transcribe my old LP collection! I do not intend to ever buy new vinyl.

Re the balanced lines, The run from amp to speakers could well be over 5mtr and avoiding mains wiring quite tricky so a few quid for the modules is no problem.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:55 pm

ef37a wrote:*I have set the chest pump on the PMC Result 6 but the flexible friend has has a serious bashing this year so I might have to lower my expectations. Has anyone heard the Sixes alongside anything nearly as good but half the price? .
A single PMC Result 6 and listen in mono? ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:13 pm

Wonks wrote:
ef37a wrote:*I have set the chest pump on the PMC Result 6 but the flexible friend has has a serious bashing this year so I might have to lower my expectations. Has anyone heard the Sixes alongside anything nearly as good but half the price? .
A single PMC Result 6 and listen in mono? ;)

Leave it out! I get almost nothing past 2kHz these days but can still enjoy stereo!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous