You are here

Beginner Acoustic Mix Critique

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Beginner Acoustic Mix Critique

Postby necrome » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi everyone! Due to COVID, I have to figure out a YouTube or streaming solution to get some income as a musician. I'm really new to mixing and mastering though and was wondering if this is a good sound to aim for?

https://clyp.it/mndz4xp3

If not, please let me know how I can improve on it! Thanks and much appreciated!
necrome

Re: Beginner Acoustic Mix Critique

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:02 pm

Hi Necrome,
Just having a listen now (in less than ideal circumstances). First thoughts
1) is that a DI signal for the guitar or is there some close-mic blended in?
2) Are you using a vocal doubling pedal or is that an over-dub?

For live streaming I'd say this is definitely good enough. People will be far more interested in the performance than any technicalities of the recording.

If you're looking at recording as your main objective there's a couple of things that stand out. One thing I'd say is that the guitar sounds much more present than the vocal. They're both very dry sounds so I'd find a nice flattering room reverb and send them both to that, with a touch less on the vocal than the guitar and they should sit together.
But before then I'd be looking at mic'ing the guitar up so that it sounds less like a DI. I mean, that's not a bad DI sound by any means, but I prefer to really here a guitar in such a simple mix.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Beginner Acoustic Mix Critique

Postby necrome » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:50 pm

Thank you blinddrew for the feedback! I was trying a direct-in with my acoustic guitar amp. So I basically mixed the vocals and acoustic guitar on the amp and went direct into the DAW and added light compression, reverb + limiter. I'm hoping to achieve a good sound that I can use for both Youtube videos and streaming (all one-takes) if possible.

After getting some help on reddit, I decided to do multi-tracking direct to DAW with no amp with some panning on the guitar and separate EQ on each side + heavier reverb. Also added parallel compression on the voice.

https://clyp.it/j1otbnzd

This Chinese song is a result of that new approach. Is this mix any better than the one before? There is some notable distortion but I'm not too sure where it is coming from yet. It's not quite possible to mic the guitar up because my room is tiny and I don't have the gear to do so. Really appreciate the help!
necrome