You are here

Connecting a Bose SA-3 to phone and monitors

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Connecting a Bose SA-3 to phone and monitors

Postby 3g4jhsdfu2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm

The RCA connects to a mobile phone. And the volume is controlled by a potentiometer.
It works fine, good volume, but after about 5-8 mins, it stops playing, and I need to reset the amplifier for it to start playing again.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
3g4jhsdfu2

Re: Connecting a Bose SA-3 to phone and monitors

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Amplifiers usually shut down because their protection circuitry kicks in -- usually due to over-temperature in the output devices, and/or the input level is too high.

Have you checked that the impedance of the attached speakers is suitable for that amp? Minimum 6 Ohms, I believe.

I'd also unwind those coils of speaker wire as the inductance and capacitance they create might be upsetting the amp output circuitry too!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby 3g4jhsdfu2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:51 pm

thanks. The speakers are: Sonance Mariner 52ss: 8 ohms nominal; 6 ohms minimum
Amp: Bose SA-3 Output 6 Ohm

also, i've used an UNROLLED much higher gauge wire (thinner) to check that, and it still shuts off.

there are some room switches on the amp, does this have anything to do with it?
3g4jhsdfu2

Postby 3g4jhsdfu2 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:35 pm

i've received word that the amp turns off after a certain period of time when the input signal is low.

So i need to max out the volume on the phone and do all volume adjustments with the volume knob.

Reason: If whatever signal going in to the amp isn't high enough for a period of time the amp will go into the auto off mode.

I'm unable to check this at the moment, but would like a second opinion if this has worked for anyone.
3g4jhsdfu2