You are here

Addictive drums 2 vs Superior Drummer 3

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Addictive drums 2 vs Superior Drummer 3

Postby Rokas108 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:57 am

Hello guys

I have decided to get a new drum software. I already have addictive drums 2. However while they sound great out of the box for me they are a bit over processed and don't always fit in my mixes. Even thouth they are really well recoded for some reason they just don't sound as big as an actual drum kit. Plus the hihat and crashes sounds lack the high end and sound to muddy for me. Everyone I spoked to told me that superior drummer 3 is the way to go. But upon investigating on YouTube and other sites the sounds weren't very impressive. I would like to know if its my ears fooling me with the AD2 processed sound and if its worth it for me to upgrade to SD3.

Kind regards
Rokas
Rokas108
Poster

Re: Addictive drums 2 vs Superior Drummer 3

Postby RichardT » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:02 pm

Rokas108 wrote:Hello guys

I have decided to get a new drum software. I already have addictive drums 2. However while they sound great out of the box for me they are a bit over processed and don't always fit in my mixes. Even thouth they are really well recoded for some reason they just don't sound as big as an actual drum kit. Plus the hihat and crashes sounds lack the high end and sound to muddy for me. Everyone I spoked to told me that superior drummer 3 is the way to go. But upon investigating on YouTube and other sites the sounds weren't very impressive. I would like to know if its my ears fooling me with the AD2 processed sound and if its worth it for me to upgrade to SD3.

Kind regards
Rokas

I use SD3 and I think it’s great. Much better than NI’s studio drummer. It comes with a genuinely useful midi library. Sorry, I cant compare to AD2
RichardT
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:49 pm

Rokas108 wrote:Hello guys

Kind regards
Rokas

I can't speak for SD but used the demo of AD for years and was very impressed with how 'snappy' it was, easy t use and intuitive and sounded very realistic. I was at the point of buying it, but thought was advised to use BFD, so I tried that but went back to AD. By this time Steinberg were giving away a cut down but perfectly functional version of Groove Agent with Cubase so I moved away from AD.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Just a side note - if you record real drums well, the recording themselves aren't necessarily big and impressive out of the box. The trick is that when you mix them, it's easy to make them as big as you like, because they respond well to EQ moves, compression, the works.

So if I were in the lookout for a sample library to use for commercial level production (as opposite to demos), I would look for these qualities in the samples, more than an immediate wow factor.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:53 am

I have AD, EZ with many SD sounds, SSD and used to have Bfd. AD is the one I come back to time and time again but I do use Ez a lot too for less mainstream stuff. I find AD to be the most realistic, easiest to use re tuning, mixing etc with a whole host of excellent presets. If you want raw unprocessed sounds choose one of ADs more retro kits. Alternatively get Spitfire zLabs free drums which I am using more and more when I want a really natural kit sound. Hth
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Watchmaker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:59 pm

I've used BFD2 and SD3 extensively and for me the trick was to go into the program mixer and turn off all the effects in the instrument. Then you can take the raw drum sound into your DAW and work it old school. I do this a lot less on SD3 and I suspect that's more about improvements in software effect algorithms as BFD2 is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.