You are here

ISO-226 Analyzer

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

ISO-226 Analyzer

Postby TomChimera » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:28 am

Hi,
I've been looking at some analyzers today, and wondered if you have favorite tilt/slope/weighting?

I found 3 db slope which shows pink noise as a flat line works ok for me, although many prefer 4.5 db slope..

And I had already installed old free Melda production analyzer that I never used, and it has an ISO-226 pre-filtering, it's very interesting looking at this!

I am listening/looking at music I like and find it interesting through the lens of this pre-filter, it supposed to be more ear-eye matched and thus more intuitive..

I think that Vojtech from Melda is really a pioneer, I can imagine this kind of feature becoming something desirable in future analyzers and it was here all the time..
Gonna buy this now.

Enjoy

TomChimera
Poster

Re: ISO-226 Analyzer

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:04 am

TomChimera wrote:I've been looking at some analyzers today, and wondered if you have favorite tilt/slope/weighting?

An analyser is a technical tool and as such its settings are selected to optimise the presentation of wanted information. In others words it's not about 'favourite' weightings etc, it's about selecting the wright option for the task in hand.

I found 3 db slope which shows pink noise as a flat line works ok for me, although many prefer 4.5 db slope.

The '3dB slope' corresponds to a 1/f response for the display, where each octave carries an equal amount of energy. This closely replicates our own perception of a natural spectral response. White noise will display with a rising top-end, exactly as we perceive it. This is the standard configuration for most spectral displays.

...it has an ISO-226 pre-filtering, it's very interesting looking at this! ...I can imagine this kind of feature becoming something desirable in future analyzers

I haven't read into the full operation of this pre-filtering... but I'm not sure how useful this would actually be. The ISO-226 curves vary dramatically with listening level, so to generate an accurate display you'd (a) need to calibrate your monitoring level with the analyser's input level, and (b) the display would need to constantly regenerate as the signal level varies.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby TomChimera » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:15 am

Hi Hugh,
Yes, you are absolutely right of course.

I was playing with it a bit more, just experimenting non scientifically, trying to adjust it so when I listen to my reference tracks my eyes match my ears at that level, more intuitively even though not technically right.. and it seems to me to have the potential to be a revealing option coming back to my mixes after adjusting to it.. it's an interesting experiment :)
TomChimera
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:34 am

Perhaps...

I'm always very wary of spectral displays as they allow your eyes to dominate your ears very easily.

They are great for confirming and quantifying a problem identified with your ears... but it's way too easy to see something and then convince yourself you can hear it too....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound