You are here

Reverb too wet on smartphone speakers

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Reverb too wet on smartphone speakers

Postby aviorrok » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi,
Recently I noticed my reverb sounds too wet on smartphone speakers but on studios sounds great
How can I fix it?
Example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kvHRe- ... p=drivesdk

Original song: https://youtu.be/-brhqtpMg2I

Thanks!
aviorrok
Regular

Re: Reverb too wet on smartphone speakers

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:41 pm

It seems that some of your stereo sounds have the opposite polarity in each channel so that when you change the output to mono the whole sound disappears. Do you have a mono switch anywhere in your monitoring system?

Mono compatibility is vital these days as the speakers on many phones and most smart speakers are mono.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby aviorrok » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:51 pm

James Perrett wrote:It seems that some of your stereo sounds have the opposite polarity in each channel so that when you change the output to mono the whole sound disappears. Do you have a mono switch anywhere in your monitoring system?

Mono compatibility is vital these days as the speakers on many phones and most smart speakers are mono.
Yeah I’m using Gain plugin on Logic Pro
Mono compatibility is vital these days? Most smartphone today have stereo speakers, I heard Chris Lord said “I don’t care about mono today”
aviorrok
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:42 pm

aviorrok wrote:[
Mono compatibility is vital these days? Most smartphone today have stereo speakers, I heard Chris Lord said “I don’t care about mono today”

Not everyone has the latest - or recent tech.

But James's key point is that one of your channels is polarity-reversed with respect to the other channel. Whatever your views on mono compatibility that needs sorting if you're going to avoid all kinds of funnies, irrespective of whether the person is listening in stereo or mono.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:46 pm

aviorrok wrote:Mono compatibility is vital these days? Most smartphone today have stereo speakers, I heard Chris Lord said “I don’t care about mono today”

I've never owned a smartphone with stereo speakers - my current phone is an 18 month old mid range Nokia with just a mono speaker. And more and more people are listening to music through smart speakers which are usually mono. If you add to this the number of web sites that stream your audio in mono you should soon realise that mono compatibility is vital.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:23 pm

The majority of smart speakers are mono. Reversing the polarity of L/R for a mono signal is a recipe for disaster.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:28 pm

And even those smartphones with stereo speakers they are so close together that any significant stereo information is lost.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:34 pm

Interesting that the OP finds it too wet on mono, i generally find the opposite - to the point that i have on occasion mixed in some mono room verb as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby aviorrok » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:25 am

The Elf wrote:The majority of smart speakers are mono. Reversing the polarity of L/R for a mono signal is a recipe for disaster.
Ok I heard all of your comments about mono thank you! But how can I fix it?
aviorrok
Regular

Postby resistorman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:19 am

aviorrok wrote:Ok I heard all of your comments about mono thank you! But how can I fix it?

You make sure the left and right channels are in phase with matching polarity.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby adrian_k » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:30 am

blinddrew wrote:Interesting that the OP finds it too wet on mono, i generally find the opposite - to the point that i have on occasion mixed in some mono room verb as well.
Yes likewise, checking in mono or often sounds less reverberant to me.

I’m probably misunderstanding but If the OP has phase issues with some of the stereo information wouldn’t he also hear less reverb on a mono speaker?

Incidentally, some smartphones do claim to have stereo speakers (eg the current iPhone SE), I don’t know whether they also do some under the hood processing to enhance stereo sound?

To the OP, taking this one step at a time, do you hear the same effect if you switch your monitoring system to mono?
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby The Elf » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:35 am

aviorrok wrote:
The Elf wrote:The majority of smart speakers are mono. Reversing the polarity of L/R for a mono signal is a recipe for disaster.
Ok I heard all of your comments about mono thank you! But how can I fix it?
Don't use widener plug-ins (many of them use polarity trickery) and never use opposite polarity to widen.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:40 am

adrian_k wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Interesting that the OP finds it too wet on mono, i generally find the opposite - to the point that i have on occasion mixed in some mono room verb as well.
Yes likewise, checking in mono or often sounds less reverberant to me.
Typically I find that the reverb is louder and the centre images reduce drastically or cancel altogether. This is because the reverb has little corrolation between L/R, whereas a centre mono signal would be a perfect L/R cancel if switched to L/R opposite polarity.

If the reverb cancels signficantly it suggests a high degree of corrolation between L/R prior to the polarity being flipped.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:16 am

I think we must be slightly talking at cross purposes here. :?:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:23 pm

aviorrok wrote:Recently I noticed my reverb sounds too wet on smartphone speakers but on studios sounds great. How can I fix it?

I'm not sure I would put too much weight on the sound quality of smartphone speakers, partly because they are all different, and partly because they are inherently crap.

That said, you obviously want your track to 'travel' as well as it can, despite the inherent compromises involved in listening to it on inferior systems like 'phones.

First off, I'd make sure that the track sounds good on other people's studio speakers, as well as in the car, on a hifi and -- especially -- on headphones and earbuds.

If they are all good, then you need to critically assess what it is about smartphone speakers that are emphasising the reverb in particular. The obvious thing is that smartphone speakers have no bass at all, and precious little lower mid. So is the problem that the reverb balance has changed because the bass/lower mid of the reverb source is getting lost?

Or is the tonal balance of the reverb such that it tends to be emphasised by the phone speakers' own tonality?

Or, taking up the mono compatibility point, is it that you have some reverb panned centrally, and that is now becoming more apparent when other widely panned track elements are lowered in level through the mono summation?

In short, before you can 'fix it' you need to analyse what the problem really is.

For what it's worth, I can't hear anything desperately 'wrong' with the track you linked above.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Next