You are here

Reference Mixing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Reference Mixing

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:07 pm

I think for referencing you should be fine with a decent mpeg file - after all, you're not really listening for the finest of details at this point, you're looking at overall balance, tone, feel etc.
I reckon...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:15 pm

outcast99 wrote:Yea it works, someone told me m4a files are not good as a reference and you need the wav files instead? Is there any truth to that?

It depends on how much fine detail you need. If you were wanting to accurately re-create individual sounds or effects from a track you may find that a .wav (or aiff, ALAC or FLAC) would allow you to hear further into the recording (assuming you have good monitors or headphones) but if you just need a reference for an overall mix balance then an m4a or mp3 would be fine.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby outcast99 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 pm

Appreciate it!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
outcast99
New here

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:11 am

I like to have the highest quality examples guide me and mp3's just piss me off really.

/rant: MP3's should be consigned to the abyss of forgotten platforms because the fundamental principle of removing content to facilitate distribution, based on assumptions about peoples tolerance for content degradation using psycho-acoustics as a justification for commercial strategies, demonstrates the sub-optimal results obtained by leveraging the inherent weaknesses in committee decision making processes to suborn quality for convenience. An ill advised trade in every circumstance. It was also an enlightened ploy to further concentrate the vast lucre music generates into fewer hands, most especially, not those attached to the talent and techies who make it happen. Given modern bandwidth capabilities, the codec should be banned imo. :protest: /endrant
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby The Elf » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:42 pm

Watchmaker wrote:I like to have the highest quality examples guide me and mp3's just piss me off really.

/rant: MP3's should be consigned to the abyss.../endrant
I agree completely.

Unfortunately 'MP3' has come to mean 'audio file' to many people. I've passed WAV files to pro musicians, only to have them come back and ask for an MP3, because they don't know what to do with a WAV file!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:22 pm

/facepalm
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Previous