You are here

Great multitrack mixers for under $1k?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Great multitrack mixers for under $1k?

Postby resistorman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:59 am

Sam Spoons wrote:It does have 6 analogue aux I/O which can easily be configured as inserts though and can, fairly cheaply, be equipped with another 16 inputs and 8 outputs (giving 38/22 analogue I/O) which can also do duty as inserts. Or look for a used full sized X32 which should come in not too much over budget. The only real downside of the X32 is the lack of combi sockets on the inputs but the XLR mic inputs are perfectly happy to accept line level signals, you just have to be careful of feeding 48V spook juice to a synth output or something.

True. Though without further input from the OP, we don't know why they just didn't buy one in the first place :D
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:49 am

I've seen posts like this quite often, I’ve been in the same situation, and so have friends.
And I always think, there is a gap in the market, and it’s not because of lack of demand, for a very compact, miniature mixer, with more than your average feature set.
I’d be prepared to put up with smaller knobs, faders, and a departure from the traditional mixer layout, a 24/32 input line mixer with 10 auxiliaries, insets, direct outputs, maybe 2/4 microphone inputs, if needed, built in effects, sub-groups, and USB multitrack recording, all the size of say something like an old Boss BX style mixer, you could use miniature knobs, mini-jack sockets and short throw faders, or just knobs. I’m sure there would be a market for this, there are plenty of folks who have little space, or need ultimate portability, the concept would be like the Make Noise Maths, a "Maths" for recording.
Yes we have i Pads, phones etc, but that’s a different market, if there was a mixer out there like the one I’m describing it would be in my gig-bag right now.,
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:59 am

If you could scale back a little an XR18 would do that
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:45 am

Sam Spoons wrote:If you could scale back a little an XR18 would do that

I just can’t go with it, remote control and all that, i OS, tablets, upgrades, etc etc, too scary.
The trouble with all these types of issues for a lot of people is space, there are plenty of great secondhand desks out there, if you’ve got the space.
Once it wasn’t even balked at, you just assumed you needed an 8 bus desk, 4 minimum, all laid out on front of you, lovely.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:15 am

resistorman wrote:Why are the inserts absolutely necessary?

I apologize for the late response, I am looking at just dealing with it, I talked to someone at B&H, they said that there are no mixers that fit my requirements that also have inserts.

So, there are some reasons why I want inserts. I am a HUGE gear geek, I love working with gear even if it is absolutely not necessary. So, inherently, I don't like working ITB very much, which in 2020, is ignorant of me. It is similar to the reason that people like real books rather than e-books. Basically, I want the ability, of what inserts can give you. Also, I am considering digital mixers as well.

Like I said they would in the original post, someone said/asked it, I will not be considering an audio interface.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:30 am

Sam Spoons wrote:It does have 6 analogue aux I/O which can easily be configured as inserts though and can, fairly cheaply, be equipped with another 16 inputs and 8 outputs (giving 38/22 analogue I/O) which can also do duty as inserts. Or look for a used full sized X32 which should come in not too much over budget. The only real downside of the X32 is the lack of combi sockets on the inputs but the XLR mic inputs are perfectly happy to accept line level signals, you just have to be careful of feeding 48V spook juice to a synth output or something.
That sounds like a smart option to consider.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:55 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Beheringer X32 Producer... Simples...
Due to what another user said about the auxes, this is looking like a genuine option. Although it is beyond my pricepoint, it looks like their are multiple used options that are. Thank you.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 am

seriousnewbie wrote:
Due to what another user said about the auxes, this is looking like a genuine option. Although it is beyond my pricepoint, it looks like their are multiple used options that are. Thank you.

The X32 issue of not having combi XLR's may seem trivial, but it would really get on my nerves, be careful.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 am

Arpangel wrote:
seriousnewbie wrote:

The X32 issue of not having combi XLR's may seem trivial, but it would really get on my nerves, be careful.
Thanks for the tip! still choosing between the X32 and the Soundcraft Signature MTK22, they both are so different, but bottom line, they are multitrack, it is going to take awhile of setting my priorities straight :headbang: :crazy: :D
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:09 am

I think taking your time is going to be key here, if you've got a very specific set of requirements to fit your way of working then you either need to keep an eye on the second hard market until something comes along (analogue or digital) or think about how you could adapt your way of working to what's currently being produced.
Either way, rushing into things doesn't seem the best course of action! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 am

seriousnewbie wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
seriousnewbie wrote:

Thanks for the tip! still choosing between the X32 and the Soundcraft Signature MTK22, they both are so different, but bottom line, they are multitrack, it is going to take awhile of setting my priorities straight :headbang: :crazy: :D

I know it’s a long shot, but Midas used to make some great desks, I’m thinking again about getting one myself, a Venice 16R.
They aren’t really designed as studio desks, but there are workarounds, they have FireWire multitrack, and the facilities are real old school, 10 aux sends, inserts direct outputs and routing up the yin-yang.
But the sound is fabulous, these are "real" desks, used by a lot of top people even these days.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby seriousnewbie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:23 am

blinddrew wrote:I think taking your time is going to be key here, if you've got a very specific set of requirements to fit your way of working then you either need to keep an eye on the second hard market until something comes along (analogue or digital) or think about how you could adapt your way of working to what's currently being produced.
Either way, rushing into things doesn't seem the best course of action! :)
:thumbup:
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby Ramirez » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 pm

I don’t think the X32 series does multitrack without an additional card.

It does work as a 32 channel USB interface out of the box though.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm

You are right Aled, 32/32 I/O via USB to a computer/DAW and stereo to a USB stick but it needs needs the X-Live card to record multitrack straight to a SD card (or two).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby seriousnewbie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Ramirez wrote:I don’t think the X32 series does multitrack without an additional card.

It does work as a 32 channel USB interface out of the box though.
Oh alright, thanks for the warning.
seriousnewbie
Poster

PreviousNext