You are here

Icon QCon Pro G2 and Reaper

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Icon QCon Pro G2 and Reaper

Postby Marbury » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:26 am

Well, I went for the QCon Pro G2 which is a thing of beauty and very well built as my choice of controller for Reaper.

I can get it pretty much working but some niggles I need to get round.

1) I can’t get the solo button light to display on each track when pressed. It does solo but only shows graphically in Reaper.

2) When writing automation to more than 1 track ( selecting them via select buttons) the faders all go jittery and odd as if confused, trying to all move in sync, instead of following my movements independently.

3) Reaper does not follow selected tracks made on the icon so its hard to know where you are on screen.

4) I wan’t audio only tracks to show on the icon, but it seems to display every track, including midi and folders which I don’t want.

5) Is it necessary to use the Reaper template supplied ?

7) Turn down the brightness of the LCD

8) Get the metronome button to work (it doesn't work, even using the button that the Reaper template overlay indicates)

I have had some advice from other Reaper users regarding CSI, TCP and MCPs, but it's gobbldygook to me at this stage. All I want is the hardware to work with the software without having to work out something similar to cracking the enigma code after spending £469

Again, very impressed with it in general but.........
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: Icon QCon Pro G2 and Reaper

Postby Marbury » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm

Can nobody help me with this lease ? I am getting a headache as this unit is not doing even half of what I want with Reaper, and I have now managed to install the DrivenbyMoss extension

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

But it doesn't seem to solve my problems

1) Faders do not auto track select on touching
2) Solo button does not illuminate on the console (but highlights in Reaper)
3) I can't filter out all my midi tracks/folder etc on the console as I just want the audio ONLY to show
4) I can't write fader automation to more than one track at a time as the faders go all spasmodic and weird

And much much more I could list. The Reaper overlay that came with the unit is pretty useless and thee are no online video tutorials to help my situation. It seems you have to be a rocket scientist to get this thing to work with Reaper.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Marbury wrote:Can nobody help me with this lease ? I am getting a headache as this unit is not doing even half of what I want with Reaper, and I have now managed to install the DrivenbyMoss extension

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

But it doesn't seem to solve my problems

1) Faders do not auto track select on touching
2) Solo button does not illuminate on the console (but highlights in Reaper)
3) I can't filter out all my midi tracks/folder etc on the console as I just want the audio ONLY to show
4) I can't write fader automation to more than one track at a time as the faders go all spasmodic and weird

And much much more I could list. The Reaper overlay that came with the unit is pretty useless and thee are no online video tutorials to help my situation. It seems you have to be a rocket scientist to get this thing to work with Reaper.

I wish I could help, I feel your pain. But I am a Cubase user, and my Icon works atreat. But my experience to getting it to as it should be was confounding at times. There does seem to be a paucity of help, knowledgable contacts. I only got the help I needed by emailing some big shot at ICON, who was very helpful, fixed my problem quite quickly, it was down to an update but it was not made widely known that the update fixed a particular issue. The person that got in touch me revealed he was in the process of writing a comprehensive user document but hadn't had the time to finish and he sent what he'd done already.

It is a shame because I really rate the quality of the ICON stuff, I much prefer my ICON to the MCU Pro I had before. There are 2 buttons on my ICON that don't seem to so anything, but I have given up trying to track down a solution.

But for what it's worth, best of luck
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Marbury » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Well it looks like I am stuck with a pig in a poke yet again.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Are you using the Klinke MCU approach or does the Icon have its own approach?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Marbury » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:50 am

No idea what that is sorry, but I looking into using CSI
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 am

Ah, sorry, the Klinke extension is some code written by one of the folks on the Reaper forum to turn a non-Mackie Control Unit (MCU) into something that behaves the same way. I use it for my BCF2000.
I'd suggest at this point heading over to the Reaper forum and seeing what you can find there about using the Icon. I've not always found that forum as useful with responding to direct queries but there's a huge amount of stuff there if you take a bit of time and dig around.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...