You are here

How to connect Behringer FBQ1000 feedback destroyer

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How to connect Behringer FBQ1000 feedback destroyer

Postby cgullcharlie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 am

Hi
I have a TRS insert on the back of my mixer, but the FBQ1000 has both TRS input and TRS output - I was expecting to split my insert TRS into two TR into the FBQ1000. So how do I go from insert TRS to the separate TRS input and output on the FBQ1000 ?
cgullcharlie

Re: How to connect Behringer FBQ1000 feedback destroyer

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 am

Welcome! :thumbup:

If you want to use an Insert on the desk then you need an Insert Lead:

Examples: https://www.studiospares.com/cables-leads/leads-insert.htm

The Insert lead takes a signal out of the mixer and back in again on the same jack using T and S and R and S. At the other end, one TS lead goes into an input and one into an output on the FBQ.

If you have an insert on the main out or a group that's fine. Must admit that my mixers were never that comprehensive so on the very few occasions that I've used an FBQ I've just taken the desk main outs into the FBQ and then the FBQ outs onto the rest of the sound system. Similar technique if you want to use it on monitors.

I've always found an FBQ device of limited use. I've had much more success taming feedback by careful positioning of mics and speakers - esp monitors - and keeping levels under control :) . But that's just me...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: How to connect Behringer FBQ1000 feedback destroyer

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:52 am

cgullcharlie wrote:I have a TRS insert on the back of my mixer, but the FBQ1000 has both TRS input and TRS output

So the insert point is an unbalanced send-return, whereas the FBQ has a balanced inputs/output.

I was expecting to split my insert TRS into two TR into the FBQ1000.

Yes, that's the only option if you want to use the desk's insert point. Use a standard splitter cable. Your FBQ will accept an unbalanced input and send an unbalanced output via the TS connectors.

If, instead, you want to maintain the balanced connections you'll have to connect the desk's mains outputs to the FBQ, and the FBQ's outputs to the rest of your system in place of the desk outputs.

All exactly as Mike has described.

I have a feedback suppressor but I rarely use it. It's just not necessary for normal concerts and the sound is better if the speaker and mic placements are set up carefully. In fact the only time I do use the feedback supressor is when I have to deal with roving audience mics. And then I generally connect it to the desk's (balanced) subgroup outputs (carrying the roving mics) with the output coming back into a (balanced) stereo return.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound