You are here

Is the AKG702 still a go-to mixing headphone + do I really need a headphone amp?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Is the AKG702 still a go-to mixing headphone + do I really need a headphone amp?

Postby mac.churchmouse » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:27 am

Ramirez wrote:Not quite the same model, but I’m a happy K712 + Sonarworks user.

+1

Lovely 'phones as is. But was fascinated about how much clarity (spectral balance?) they gained and how much more like my monitors they were with the generic Sonarworks correction.
mac.churchmouse
Regular

Re: Is the AKG702 still a go-to mixing headphone + do I really need a headphone amp?

Postby Hazer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:07 am

Martin Walker wrote:I've got a pair of AKG 712 Pro's, and despite the controversy about 'running in', I ran a CD on repeat overnight with the headphones in their box (to avoid annoying anyone).

Martin

I'll just do it better to be safe than sorry thanks Martin and Sam
Hazer
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:09 am

:thumbup: It can't do any harm...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:37 am

Sam, not quite poinless to drive a headphone amplifier from a headphone jack?

Many AIs have wimpy cans outputs, maybe fine at -6dBfs but too low when tracking at neg 20.
Then of course peeps use mult-output amps to expand an existing feed.

You will not of course improve the sound quality...well MAYBE! There is a thing called "pre-distortion"!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:29 pm

That's true Dave... :thumbup:

I was thinking of adding a paragraph saying exactly that to my first reply but decided to keep things simple as most interfaces and mixers do have enough oomph for most headphones.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous