You are here

iLok Licence Manager question.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

iLok Licence Manager question.

Postby zenguitar » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:34 am

Simple question, but one not covered explicitly in the iLok FAQ's. So I would appreciate some feedback from iLok Licence Manager users.

I use my iMac desktop and MacBook Pro and am about to purchase Expert Sleepers Silent Way as I am now the proud owner of an ES-9 Eurorack interface. Silent Way is authorised using iLok Licence Manager, which is how it is and I'm fine with that.

My question is... can I install Licence Manager on both machines using the same account? It appears that it would be OK (in just the same way as my Korg and Arturia software is authorised on both machines) but it would be re-assuring to have confirmation from someone who has Licence Manager authorising software on 2 or more machines.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: iLok Licence Manager question.

Postby Agharta » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:43 am

All the iLok licenses in my account show how many activations they have and how many of those are currently active.
Most offer more than one but not all and that is down to the vendor and not iLok.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:56 am

According to the Silent Way manual you're good for up to 3 computers Andy:

Expert Sleepers wrote:The downloadable version of Silent Way stops working after 15 minutes every time you use it. To stop this happening, you need to buy a license.

You can buy an activation code online here.

From there on product activation is handled by the iLok License Manager. Use the License Manager to redeem your activation code and deposit a license in your iLok account. Then activate the license on your chosen computer, physical iLok, or iLok Cloud.

Your license allows you to activate Silent Way on up to 3 different computers (useful if for example you have a desktop computer in the studio and a laptop for live use).

(My emphasis)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby zenguitar » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:18 am

Doh :headbang:

As soon as Expert Sleepers linked to iLok I looked for answers there rather than in the Silent Way manual.

I guess I'm getting old. Once upon a time Frequently Asked Questions really were frequently asked questions, nowadays they're just stating the bleeding obvious without any conception of what a genuine user might ask.

:crazy:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:06 am

No worries - I'm having massive issues with PreSonus Studio One right now and at the rate we're going I'm probably going to write it off as a bad judgment call on the DAW investment front. Also equally unhappy issues with their support portal.

Don't ask, you really don't want to know, but I will say "AAAARGGGHH"!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Urthlupe » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:00 pm

The way I’ve always assumed this works Andy is this......

You are sold a license by the software manufacturer.

Where iLok is offered as an option you can then have this license/s transferred to your iLok account.

Once in your iLok account the license/s can be used to authorise a particular computer (or maybe more than one), or/and authorise the physical iLok itself. You can select these options on activation or I think in the iLok Manager?

If the physical iLok holds the authorisation then yes, you simply install the softwares and the iLok Manager on any computers you wish and move the iLok (and with it the authorisation) as necessary. The iLok holds the authorisation in this scenario and so permits use of the software on the machine it happens to be attached to. I thought that was sort of one of the main purposes behind the ‘dongle’ method?

Have I got this wrong fellas....... I’ve never really had reason to question it before - or quite possibly I’ve just totally misunderstood what we’re talking about......

Loopy xx
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Urthlupe wrote:Once in your iLok account the license/s can be used to authorise a particular computer (or maybe more than one), or/and authorise the physical iLok itself. You can select these options on activation or I think in the iLok Manager?

Yes - you can "activate" the license to your hardware iLok, or your computer. There may be more than one activation available, in which case you can activate multiple computers.

You can run the iLok software on whatever machines you want, and you can log in to your account and manage your licenses on however many machines you want.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Urthlupe » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:34 am

Thnks Desmond.

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 am

I just want to digress,
ilok and other said prevention tools annoy me.
limited USB connections on computer laptop,
no need to fill them up with license dongles like ilok.
Where am I supposed to plug in my backup drive if I have to use ilok.
ergh.

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:29 am

USB dongles are only one option for iLok. All my iLok software is HD authorised, no dongle required.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:58 am

What Desmond said ^^^. I've got about a dozen iLok authorised bits of software and no dongles.
According to the doctor... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...