You are here

Gullfoss Intelligent EQ useage question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Gullfoss Intelligent EQ useage question

Postby Hazer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:14 pm

This looks a great plugin however I was wondering how you guys use this. I mean I assume you cannot use it EQ wise to carve a space between two sounds, but it will I take it bring out the most pleasing sound to the ear for any given track? And then you can then add say another EQ after to do any extra carving or boosting to taste or make space for other instruments?
Hazer
Regular

Re: Gullfoss Intelligent EQ useage question

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:24 pm

I demo'd it and quite liked it but couldn't justify the cost for the difference it made to me. I only used it on the master bus or a drum bus though.
It was a nice subtle tool, and if I was in the mastering business I'd definitely consider it. But for me I couldn't justify it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hazer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:42 pm

Thanks man can you expand upon why you did not find it useful?
Hazer
Regular

Postby Gone To Lunch » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:55 pm

Hazer wrote:This looks a great plugin however I was wondering how you guys use this. I mean I assume you cannot use it EQ wise to carve a space between two sounds, but it will I take it bring out the most pleasing sound to the ear for any given track? And then you can then add say another EQ after to do any extra carving or boosting to taste or make space for other instruments?

I use it and would recommend it. I put it on the master bus, last after everything else. To my ears it just makes everything slightly 'cleaner' for want of a better word.

In my personal view, adding more processing afterwards would defeat its purpose, which is to me around cleanliness, which I suppose is a kind of separation enhancement. The tec doc refers to 'taming' which is also a good descriptor.

I also found it works best at the very end of mixing after you have tried your best on all the components first.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby resistorman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:06 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:
Hazer wrote:This looks a great plugin however I was wondering how you guys use this. I mean I assume you cannot use it EQ wise to carve a space between two sounds, but it will I take it bring out the most pleasing sound to the ear for any given track? And then you can then add say another EQ after to do any extra carving or boosting to taste or make space for other instruments?

I use it and would recommend it. I put it on the master bus, last after everything else. To my ears it just makes everything slightly 'cleaner' for want of a better word.

In my personal view, adding more processing afterwards would defeat its purpose, which is to me around cleanliness, which I suppose is a kind of separation enhancement. The tec doc refers to 'taming' which is also a good descriptor.

I also found it works best at the very end of mixing after you have tried your best on all the components first.
I agree with everything Gone to Lunch posted. It’s not a cure for a so so mix, though it may help in restoration of old files. In any case, it’s subtle but pleasing, giving a sense of space and separation. I’d download the demo and give it a spin.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:12 pm

I agree with the above, it's not that I didn't find it useful, I did, but I couldn't justify the price.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 pm

I took the plunge when it was on sale because people with (I assume) a better hearing range than I, use it. I have high frequency hearing loss. I think I can hear a difference if I push it to the extremes so I set it to around 20% for Tame and Recover.
Using sample libraries I have a tendency to pile up too much low mid information so I think Recover helps with a touch of clarity in that range after I have done as much EQ as I can. It is the last plug on my master bus.

I also tried the Soothe 2 Demo. I really liked what it did as well. If I had a big budget project I would probably buy it.
Gullfoss and Soothe 2 are completely different products but I liked what both did to my final mixes. I didn’t get the chance to compare the two head to head before the Soothe2 demo ran out.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:26 pm

I too bought Gullfoss on sale, $100 was a much easier buy. I have Soothe 2 on demo right now and it doesn’t seem all that different to me.
resistorman
Frequent Poster