You are here

Anyone using UAD Culture Vulture on Master Bus?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Anyone using UAD Culture Vulture on Master Bus?

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:27 pm

I’m about to turn on the demo and try it on the master bus because of an article I read in SOS. It sounds like it’s a very cool effect for individual tracks but one of the interviewees says he uses it on the master bus.
Curious about other people’s mileage or alternative suggestions. I’m not feeling my mixes lack warmth but there is that talked about mojo that people say they have discovered due to some magic box or plugin. I’m am searching for mojo!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Anyone using UAD Culture Vulture on Master Bus?

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:33 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I’m about to turn on the demo and try it on the master bus because of an article I read in SOS. It sounds like it’s a very cool effect for individual tracks but one of the interviewees says he uses it on the master bus.
Curious about other people’s mileage or alternative suggestions. I’m not feeling my mixes lack warmth but there is that talked about mojo that people say they have discovered due to some magic box or plugin. I’m am searching for mojo!

Good morning sir, I was interested in getting a hardware version of this, but after hearing a few demo's it left me underwhelmed, and that "mojo" just isn’t there for me.
The software may be a better bet, as it’s a lot cheaper and that may affect your opinion :D
As far as mojo goes and valves in general it’s so difficult, today, technology in general has improved so much regarding valve circuitry, that the sound we have in our old heads about how they "used to sound" that fabled magic, just isn’t there anymore, if it ever existed, and a well designed valve unit should sound just as transparent or even more so than a solid state design.
I’ve only heard one unit really, that seemed to have this "mojo" the Inward Connections VacRac compressor (no longer made) it sounds beautiful, but at a price. It’s smooth, creamy, velvety, and whatever you put through it just sounds good, but they go for very high prices secondhand.
Thermionic stuff is very good, but, it has never tempted me to open my wallet.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Ive had a play with the demo. It does some wonderful things but for the type of music I do it’s not quite right for the master bus. You are right about what we hear in our heads. I’ve had 1 real world example -
The studio next door to mine was thinking of buying a new mixer. He was demoing the small SSL (cripes, might of been Neve) desk. But his work is mostly in the box. He had an A-B setup of direct from Pro Tools vs through the desk.
The Pro Tools mix sounded great - we could hear every instrument clearly. Through the desk even my old ears could hear some major magic! It sounded like an album! All the instruments blended together somehow in a way that I can’t put into words. It was a revelation to me. And that’s the problem with ProTools, everything is separate and can be heard as such. I keep hoping there is a plug that will accomplish the same wonderful blending.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:45 pm

Hey Man From Glass, you might try this. And it’s on sale.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... 000_j.html

I have an earlier version and it’s my go to strip now.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Will do - thanks! Good sale price of $99
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Hmm, just listened to the demos and in all but one occasion I preferred the bypassed sound! :D
Guess I'm not their target market. ;)

More seriously, seems a bit amiss not to have any bus or master channel demos for a 'console' plugin?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:13 pm

Oh dear - I’m going down the Neve vs SSL rabbit hole! Aaaaaaaah!
A few older posts have been trying to describe the difference between the two. One poster suggests the Console One (gotta research that now) because of the options of combining from both camps. I’m assuming Console One is not a $99 plugin or whatever it is.
I remember a buddy saying, way back in the day, he remembered when musicians got together in the studio to play but now they get together to read manuals. Perhaps now they do plugin research.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 pm

I know it’s not relevant to what you need, but, something else that has real mojo in spades is the Neve Portico Buss Processor, if you never get a chance, check that out, it’s on my bucket list, it’s just heavenly, it should be called the Neve Steely Dan driving with the windows down in LA FM Stereo Buss Processor.

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Maybe worth looking at PSP VintageWarmer or Tokyo KotelNikov.
Both have demos available.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Kwackman wrote:Maybe worth looking at PSP VintageWarmer or Tokyo KotelNikov.

I don’t know, how could I have forgot the Vintage Warmer, one of my faves, fantastic, great for master buss use, has a really nice sound, still relevant, and very versatile.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:41 am

Love Vintage Warmer... bailed me out last week!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:52 am

resistorman wrote:
Love Vintage Warmer... bailed me out last week!

Yes, I think Mr Glass should check it out, it’s one of my all time fave plugs, it can ad very subtle warmth and detail, bass weight, or go completely bananas. It’s just got a lovely sound for a plug, which I never thought I’d find myself saying!
Yikes!!! It’s now £114 I can’t seem to remember it being that expensive when I bought mine.

:(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:36 pm

I might actually have it and never think of pulling it up. I’ll go have a look. Thanks.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Andy McBain » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:53 pm

I've only just got into this master bus game but I like the Plugin Alliance Shadow Hills (original, not class A) very much for "weight", "3D-ness" and all that shebang. Plus I managed to get it for £30...
Andy McBain
Regular