You are here

Wireless headphones when mixing?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Wireless headphones when mixing?

Postby mountain lion » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi!
Do you use wireless headphones when mixing? Does the soundcard need to have bluetooth then?

Thank you!
mountain lion
Poster

Re: Wireless headphones when mixing?

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:46 pm

mountain lion wrote:Hi!
Do you use wireless headphones when mixing?

No; and I don't know anyone who does.

From my perspective the wireless side has to do tricksy stuff with the audio before and after it's transmitted from the source to the headphones. That's going to interfere with audio quality which is paramount for mixing.

I don't know of any of the Pro Studio Headphone manufacturers who ever suggest that one of their wireless models is good for studio duties.

In fact, just to be sure I went online and found the following from one of the leading tech-review sites:

... it’s pretty hard to find a pair of wireless cans that offer the same studio quality you would get with corded models...

Note: Before you sift through the list below, we'd strongly recommend choosing a pair of corded headphones over wireless, if possible. The corded options offer much better quality, especially for critical listening, which is the ultimate purpose for studio headphones.

Others will doubtless have their own views, but I'd suggest you look at the AKG 702/712 models or the Sennheiser 600/650s. They've gotta lotta love here! (As have some other open-back headphones - which is what you want for mixing.)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:46 pm

No, no and thrice no.

I've not found any wireless headphones that actually sound any good - and that's before beginning to consider latency and other weaknesses.

And the need to charge the things up is just a downright annoyance.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:13 pm

mountain lion wrote:Hi!
Do you use wireless headphones when mixing? Does the soundcard need to have bluetooth then?

Thank you!

No and it'd be foolish to do so. Bluetooth encoders by definition have limited bandwidth and need to be processed by low-power devices. You can't mix what you can't hear.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mountain lion » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:13 pm

I only get one email-notification when i subscribe, Then it deactivates.
??? :crazy:
mountain lion
Poster