You are here

Interface to CD recording

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Interface to CD recording

Postby relliott » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:46 pm

I’m using a Focusrite 18i8 interface where I would like to introduce a cd recorder.
I have files on the software (protools) that I’ve bounced to my computer music files on WAV and MP3.

The interface has two (2) 1/4” outs and eight (8) in’s. Also a SPDIF in and out rca . I’m using a Tascam CDRW 900 which has rca inputs and outs.

What is the best way to channel the the signal via the interface into the cd recorder for recording CD’s. Also when playing back the cd’s how do I hear the music I’ve recorded via the monitors.. seems you can’t do two things at once. Record and play back without rearranging the inputs.

I’m thinking the Focusrite control panel may be of some benefit but I’m unclear as to the procedure and cable requirements.
relliott

Re: Interface to CD recording

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:55 pm

If you're not using them for anything else I'd use the SPDIF in and out.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:51 am

Exactly what Drew says, just select the SPDIF inputs on the Focusrite to hear your music.
But, if you have multiple files, if you don’t know already, you’ll have to create a CD burning project in your DAW, or load them into some sort of media player that allows CD burning to establish track numbers etc.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:11 am

I'm interested in why you want to work this way... does your computer not have a burner or is there some other reason?

... and I agree that if your doing it this way then SPDIF/Coaxial is the way to go.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby relliott » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. The spdif is something I overlooked. I will route the interface to the cd recorder accordingly. I have a second set of monitors that I may use to hear the playback if necessary via the outs on the cd recorder. Using a laptop without a cd transport which is common. The Tascam has various editing abilities such as level setting, editing and tracking features that I don’t believe most computers or programs account for. I’m for more of a tactile approach.. go figure. I also use various hardware devices for recording guitars and effects (Lexicon) that are available as plugins.
relliott