You are here

How does this sound?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How does this sound?

Postby gongli » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi,

Before I upload it to Spotify and other payed sites, I want your opinion on how it sounds as far as the recording / mixing technique is concerned.

Ready for the big times, or not?

Suggestions welcome...

https://soundcloud.com/joong-rhee/i-love-thee-lord
gongli
Poster
Where so ever you want to go, music will take you there...

Re: How does this sound?

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:01 pm

There's nothing 'wrong' with it as it is. It sounds like a live recording of a duo in a small-ish room. If that's the sound you're wanting then it's fine. Personally I would have wanted a bit of close mic for each instrument to help pull me into the performance; as it is I feel as if I'm sitting 20 feet away. But this is not a right/wrong thing - just taste.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:26 pm

For me, the piano sounds too distant and ambient, but there probably isn't much you can do about that unless you have close mics on it that you could bring up. The violin is a bit overbearing and less ambient so it doesn't quite sound as though they belong together.
Sam Inglis

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:42 pm

The room is too prominent, and the mic’s sound too close, but I guess you did that to avoid the room sound :roll:
The room makes it sound "amateurish" which is fine if that’s the vibe you’re after, but if it’s not, then I’d try and just get rid of as much ambience as possible, with blankets, duvets, and ad artificial reverb, or, simply decamp to a better bigger room, where you can move the mic's a bit further back, and let the music breath.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:31 pm

gongli wrote:Hi,

Before I upload it to Spotify and other payed sites, I want your opinion on how it sounds as far as the recording / mixing technique is concerned.

Ready for the big times, or not?

Suggestions welcome...

https://soundcloud.com/joong-rhee/i-love-thee-lord

As the Elf say, if you want an "ambient" recording, that's what you've got, even if I'm not sure how many recording like that you find nowadays in the "big times". As Arpangel says, that's likely due to the way you recorded it.

However, I'd cut out the voices at the start (unless they're there for artistic reasons, it does sound like you started the recording a bit too soon) and there's a lot of noise in the quieter intro bars - I had the volume up on the headphones when listening and it's quite much (unless again you're doing it on purpose). It gets better later on, when things get going and the overall volume of the instruments his higher, but these two things I found distracting.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby gongli » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:36 am

Sincere thanks to all those posted! You guys are great...
gongli
Poster
Where so ever you want to go, music will take you there...

Postby blakedirksen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Beautifully performed. A couple comments.

As an amateur with only small in house rooms, I've never had luck mic'ing a piano. I would consider recording the piano digitally and focusing on a great mic placement on the violin. I agree with other posters that the mic seems a bit close on the violin so it sounds overly prominent, unless you want it to sound like a violin solo with a piano in the background.

The dynamics have a lot of range in the violin and at times it gets a bit up front when it gets louder. A compressor on that track should help tame that a bit.

There is some range overlap of the piano and the violin. You could selectively adjust some EQ so there is less redundancy in the mix. This would help when the two parts are both playing something melodic together.

Some would call it cheating but there were a few flat notes in the violin performance that distract a bit in the track, some very subtle pitch correction could help in spots.

Well done and keep up the good work.
blakedirksen