You are here

Studio Monitors - Sound Test Question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Studio Monitors - Sound Test Question

Postby bvdd » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 pm

Let's say you have professional grade studio monitors, your room is correctly treated, and
all other sound variable issues have been solved in your studio.

As an experiment, you run test tones from 40hz to 10khz through them.

Should all frequencies be equal in volume?
bvdd

Re: Studio Monitors - Sound Test Question

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:28 pm

In a perfect world, yes. In the real world, no.

The perfect room doesn't exist, and neither does the perfect speaker, so there will always be some variation in level across the spectrum.

And bear in mind that the position of the measurement mic can make quite a big difference, especially in a room full of reflective surfaces like consoles, racks computer screens etc.

A real world level variation of +/-2dB across the mid and high end would be very impressive. The low end tends to more variable even in a well treated room. +/-3dB variation at the low end would be very good indeed, but a wider tolerance would be more typical in my experience except in exceptional professionally-built high end rooms.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ramirez » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:A real world level variation of +/-2dB across the mid and high end would be very impressive. The low end tends to more variable even in a well treated room. +/-3dB variation at the low end would be very good indeed, but a wider tolerance would be more typical in my experience except in exceptional professionally-built high end rooms.

Have you measured your new room that was covered in Studio SOS? It would be interesting how a well treated domestic room fares.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby bvdd » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:46 pm

Thank you, Hugh.
bvdd

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:08 am

The quintessentially Quixotic quest. Sir Pellinore might heave a doleful sigh of commiseration for those whose questing beast lurks in their home studio. Release the brachets and sound the horns! There are reasons why studios don't publish room response data. One, because it's different depending on where you're standing. Two, it will change daily, and may change dramatically depending on which variables have moved, including how many people are in the room with you, what speakers you're listening to, etc.

In my fairly limited experience, the point of diminishing returns is reached fairly early in the treatment process for a high percentage of practical purposes so if the room sounds good and you can accomplish your goals in it, the rest is just theory. It is fun theory though :-)
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.