You are here

Question About Background Static/White Noise

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Question About Background Static/White Noise

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:17 am

That "random broadband" type of noise is the hardest thing to remove as it infiltrates every corner of the sound spectrum so doesnt lend itself to selective surgery. I agree with Elf that re recording the vocal would be best. Important to find out what has caused the noise in the first place so it can be avoided next session.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby andreasdevig » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks so much for your help/input, everyone.

Mike Stranks wrote:Leaving aside the issue of what the noise is - although I feel it's electronic rather than air-borne - I've just put the sample very quickly thru iZotope RX7 to see what it could do.

Using 'Voice Denoise' on a preset reduced the noise considerably. Using 'Spectral Repair' (not available in Elements) on the original sample, again on a preset, improved things more.

I think it's either a noisy mic, noisy preamp when the gain's turned up or unoptimised gain structure - or any combination thereof!

But as has been said, more info is needed on how this was recorded.
Thank you so much. Can you tell me what those presets are/how to set them?

I assume you would recommend that I buy RX (not Elements)?

And yeah, I hadn't set the level stereo knob up far enough. After I did, the next recordings I did were significantly less noisy.

I'm not a very technical person. I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just a simple composer and musician.

It took a lot of time and work to practice, record, compile, etc. these tunes. And so I really, really, really, really do not want to have to re-record them unless I absolutely have to. That would be a nightmare to me. There are other reasons as well. Anyway, I want to try and rescue them if I can.
andreasdevig
New here

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 pm

You really must get your recording chain sorted so that you don't get into this situation again...

But to help you out of this hole I'm happy to receive your voice file and see if I can clean it up a little for you. No charge, but no guarantees that it'll be a super-fix. It'll be a preset-only tweak really.

If you want to pursue it just drop me a PM and we'll take it from there.

If it works, you'll be a happy-chappie; if it doesn't well, nothing lost. But at least it'll save you buying software just for a one-off or that gives you results you're still not happy with.

Of course if anyone else makes you a better offer then I'm happy to defer to them... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby andreasdevig » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:You really must get your recording chain sorted so that you don't get into this situation again...

But to help you out of this hole I'm happy to receive your voice file and see if I can clean it up a little for you. No charge, but no guarantees that it'll be a super-fix. It'll be a preset-only tweak really.

If you want to pursue it just drop me a PM and we'll take it from there.

If it works, you'll be a happy-chappie; if it doesn't well, nothing lost. But at least it'll save you buying software just for a one-off or that gives you results you're still not happy with.

Of course if anyone else makes you a better offer then I'm happy to defer to them... :)

Oh man thank you so much. That's very kind of you. :)

And yeah like I said, all I really did was turn the Level Stereo on my Yamaha MG06 Mixing Console (it's a non-USB), and the recordings I recorded after that [were significantly less noisy].

Here's a preview of track 17 if anyone is curious to compare and contrast. You can hear how much less noise there is..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14A1neUOyWfOIq2UP8dFOlFRgTPZQr-rT/view?usp=sharing
andreasdevig
New here

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:57 am

Various passes through iZotope modules effected...

PM sent...

Good luck! :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:43 am

andreasdevig wrote:...Here's a preview of track 17 if anyone is curious to compare and contrast. You can hear how much less noise there is..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14A1neUOyWfOIq2UP8dFOlFRgTPZQr-rT/view?usp=sharing

Yes much cleaner. When you receive the denoised file(s) you might want to put them side by side with this and compare.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:54 am

Some quick 'n' dirty work with various options in iZotope RX has improved things considerably... the O/P is now fine-tuning a few problematic phrases...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:58 am

You are a scholar and a gentleman Mr Stranks. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:50 pm

blinddrew wrote:You are a scholar and a gentleman Mr Stranks. :thumbup:

And so say all of us :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am

what mic did you use, it's probably the mic self noise too or room,.
factors of noise could be anything, computer leakage, audio interface noise. What noise you speaking of? what does it sound like.

Previous