You are here

Recreating an old vinyl sound

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Recreating an old vinyl sound

Postby Panda » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks for all the replies! So it seems the iZotope plugin is popular :-)

Are there any other plugins that could do this? Or is it a "manual" job if you don't use Vinyl?
Panda
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 am

A bit of old sampled vinyl crackle, some side-chaining to make sure the loudest pops and crackles duck the audio, and some fierce EQ. Job done.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 am

I’ve got a module in Reaktor (third party) for this, it’s great, I’m not at home but I’ll have a look when I get back.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Panda » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:27 am

Arpangel wrote:I’ve got a module in Reaktor (third party) for this, it’s great, I’m not at home but I’ll have a look when I get back.

Cool! I do have Reaktor actually. If it's in the user library, you can also send me a link and I'll try it out. Thanks!

Btw, downloaded Vinyl, but apparently it doesn't work with Mojave (OSX 10.14).
Panda
Poster

Postby The Bunk » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Well this has been a useful visit to the Forum (again!) today. Have downloaded Izotope vinyl and a very quick play and I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. :thumbup:
Also echo another comment about sampling a "scratch" sounds; there are some on Loopcloud which I have used.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Panda wrote:Btw, downloaded Vinyl, but apparently it doesn't work with Mojave (OSX 10.14).

Very strange, as it's working just fine on Mojave (OSX 10.14) here.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Panda » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:59 pm

desmond wrote:
Panda wrote:Btw, downloaded Vinyl, but apparently it doesn't work with Mojave (OSX 10.14).

Very strange, as it's working just fine on Mojave (OSX 10.14) here.

Hm. Good to know. I thought that was the issue because it says on their site 10.11-10.13. In Live 9 I get an error message saying something about checking the internet connection when I try to register, but the connection is fine.

Edit: same happens in Reaper.
Panda
Poster

Postby RichardT » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:58 pm

The Bunk wrote:Well this has been a useful visit to the Forum (again!) today. Have downloaded Izotope vinyl and a very quick play and I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. :thumbup:
Also echo another comment about sampling a "scratch" sounds; there are some on Loopcloud which I have used.

Vinyl also has a scratch setting.
RichardT
Regular

Postby The Bunk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:45 pm

There's something weird going on with Vinyl here. When it's loaded, I can hear it working, even if I'm not actually playing the song it's on. Nothing too worrying obviously but anyone else got this, and if so, what's going on?
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:49 pm

The Bunk wrote:There's something weird going on with Vinyl here. When it's loaded, I can hear it working, even if I'm not actually playing the song it's on. Nothing too worrying obviously but anyone else got this, and if so, what's going on?

You DAW may not be actively playing, but it still might be processing audio, and if the plugin is generating scratches and noise etc, then you'll hear that too. Mute or bypass the plugin and it should go away.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Panda wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’ve got a module in Reaktor (third party) for this, it’s great, I’m not at home but I’ll have a look when I get back.

Cool! I do have Reaktor actually. If it's in the user library, you can also send me a link and I'll try it out. Thanks!

Damn! I made a mistake! it’s a short wave radio simulator I’ve got in Reaktor, but I have got a vinyl simulator somewhere, I’ve used it! I’ll have to have a further dig around.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 pm

I always prefer the live take to vinyl...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erM1WkG ... e=emb_logo
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Panda » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Humble Bee wrote:I always prefer the live take to vinyl...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erM1WkG ... e=emb_logo

:thumbup: :smirk:
Panda
Poster

Postby Panda » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Panda wrote:

Damn! I made a mistake! it’s a short wave radio simulator I’ve got in Reaktor, but I have got a vinyl simulator somewhere, I’ve used it! I’ll have to have a further dig around.

:think:

Thanks for getting back. I wouldn't be uninterested to see it because at some point in my life I was pretty deep into Core programming, but in fact we've just done the job "manually" by filtering, adding some pitch modulation and crackle samples. I have no idea if the iZotope plug would have performed better because we couldn't get it to work, not on my computer and not on the studio computer. Pity, but that's how it is as mastering is next Tuesday so there's not much time left to mess around...

Anyways, I think it does a pretty good job, even though trained ears for this historic recording sound (like mine, if I may say so) can tell the difference in a split second.

Thank you all again for all the feedback and interest!!
Panda
Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:29 am

Do any of these plugins sum the bass to mono just like an actual LP pressing?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext