You are here

Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Honch » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hgZ_2kwojY

This guy admits that it has both pros and cons. He's so out of it. His computer monitor does not go into standby mode, it runs as much as power, but he says so "hey you see my monitor just went into power saving mode. It goes into "screen saver" mode instead, to avoid burn ins. But he doesn't get that.

Is there any burn in on speakers, when they are idle for more than 30 minutes? :wtf: :crazy:
Honch
Regular

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:51 pm

What's going on here? :eh:

The O/P posed a 'Whaddya think? Good or bad?' question related to auto-power-off in speakers in general and has received various responses , including several in the 'never been a problem for me' category.

Now he seems on a mission to show that it's a 'bad' - or at least problematic - thing. Why?

If he was of the opinion that is is 'bad' then why not say so up front and provide supporting evidence. I just don't get what this is all about.

:?: :?: :?:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Honch wrote:No I did actually measured it...

Sorry... I'm really struggling to understand what it was you were measuring and what your tests were supposedly showing...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Honch wrote:...but the other one at Music Radar, just listed it as a negative con, without mention it in the review.

Sorry ... can't really comment on other people's reviews. As a matter of policy, we only list something in the Pro/Con section if it has been fully explained and discussed in the main review text.

I can obviously appreciate that you're not keen on auto-standby facilities in active speakers, and that's your prerogative. But I think you'll find this kind of feature becomes increasingly common with new designs.

Of course, many active speakers intended for the professional market allow the auto-standby function to be to disabled simply because there are specific applications where auto-standby is unhelpful, and the user can be considered responsible enough to power-down properly when the speaker is no longer required.

It's interesting and encouraging that several people have reported no problems with their own auto-standby speakers, so while I'm sure that there have been some issues with a few specific designs, or with ageing speakers, it seems the system can work as intended.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Honch » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:53 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:If he was of the opinion that is is 'bad' then why not say so up front and provide supporting evidence. I just don't get what this is all about.
:?: :?: :?:
No, that what I think is problematic, is that some reviewers out there (maybe not SOS) as I pointed out with Music Radar lists this particular Speaker as a negative that it has not a selectable automatic standby function. I noticed this. And I noted that no or very few lists this as a pro or con, as it is of important thing that it is there or not.

My negative views on them, has nothing to do with that what I wonder whether other thinks that this is an important thing to be listed. As we now know for sure, there are different opinions, and either

a) people don't care, not important, to list it in reviews
b) people care, but don't think it's important to mention in reviews at all
c) people care, and wants it stated in all reviews regardless of whether they like it or not

I for one, have no objection if it exists but sure wants to know in any review regardless of whether I liked it or not.

JBL has a cunning trick to turn it off, but it isn't readily selecatable. I e a little extra mile to walk, so one doesn't think it's just a flick of a switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_05foHkQ2Y

That I'm not particularly fond of it, well, it could just be the other way around too, but I still want it stated in reviews. And of course, whether it is selectable or not. We've now seen that some reviewers (Music Radar) list it as a CON, while I can very much think that some other reviewer of repute would list it as a PRO (review of the exact same monitor), and yet some other didn't even bother to mention it at all.

- - - - - - - - - - -

And come on, give me a break will you all, about that small savings adds up to energy savings throughout the world. Globally. Like studio monitors should be something of a household item throughout the world, like domestic hi-fi speakers in the living room. The total number of them are so small, that strangling the current on them after 20 minutes doesn't matter at all, either way.

Besides all this, point me to any EU directive which demands this on new products. I e that one can get fined (the company) if you don't include it.

The only thing I've found is this, and it's all about consumer electrical equipment, not professional equipment.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... 32008R1275

-
Honch
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:10 pm

Honch wrote:No, that what I think is problematic, is that .... no or very few lists this as a pro or con, as it is of important thing that it is there or not.

Ah. Okay. You don't like inconsistency in reviews. Fair enough. Best to stick with a reputable and reliable source of information, like SOS then! :thumbup: :D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:27 pm

I suppose if people are run the habit of leaving them powered up 24/7 then the 'standby' time could be 75% or more, if you are in the habit of switching them off when you finish a session the the energy saving would be insignificant. In a domestic environment speakers may well be left switched on and a second or two delay before they come back to life is no more than the most minor inconvenience, in that case the benefits of 'auto standby' are indisputable. In a professional situation that delay would disrupt the workflow in a negative way and would be undesirable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm

I leave my Neumanns on auto-standby. They take about 5 seconds to re-start, but if I've not been using them for long enough that they've gone into standby then that extra 5 seconds just isn't an issue.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:48 pm

A vaguely related issue happened to me the other day - I'd been watching a series on Netflix, and then went into the studio to make some music.

When I returned several hours later, Netflix had been cycling through clips of random series in an effort to get me actively watching something else. Not a problem at all to me, except that I learned the following day that me actively remaining on my shared Netflix account had prevented a colleague being able to log in.

In future I shall sign off from Netflix when I stop viewing :headbang:

Sometimes auto switch off is helpful ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Nites » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:19 am

The way stand by mode is implemented on Kali Audio speakers is annoying. They tend to switch off when listening at low volume levels. And they won't turn on unless you feed them a healthy single level by turning up the monitor controller.
Nites
Regular

Postby Honch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:13 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Honch wrote:No, that what I think is problematic, is that .... no or very few lists this as a pro or con, as it is of important thing that it is there or not.

Ah. Okay. You don't like inconsistency in reviews. Fair enough. Best to stick with a reputable and reliable source of information, like SOS then! :thumbup: :D

Yes, exactly. Regardless of anyones opinion. But the reviewer. If you take a look at the Music Radar ones, some of the other ones in their top 10 or 20 list does include auto standby too, but only on the Focal it is listed as a feature and as a con at that. Now, it would turn out very ambiguous if some other speaker and reviewer in the same list would point out auto-standy as a positive then. Some speakers have neg review about auto-standby, and some has positive. Then, when one reads the actual review in full, there's no mention of it at all, like if that auto-standby has a 4.5 second start up time and makes it a CON, or if it has 4,5 millisecond startup time, and - therefore - is considered a PRO thing.
Honch
Regular

Postby Honch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:15 am

Nites wrote:The way stand by mode is implemented on Kali Audio speakers is annoying. They tend to switch off when listening at low volume levels. And they won't turn on unless you feed them a healthy single level by turning up the monitor controller.

See there, I am not alone on this. And it is NOT stated in the reviews. Mostly it is stated in a bypassing way, if at all.

Can you spot any mentioning of it at all, in this review ? (MusicTech is one of repute):

https://www.musictech.net/reviews/kali- ... -6-review/
Honch
Regular

Postby Honch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:51 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I... In a professional situation that delay would disrupt the workflow in a negative way and would be undesirable...

See there, I am not alone. Since the EU directive is in the consumer side of things, I think this is an important feature to bring up in all reviews. Manufacturers do no think of budget monitors as a professional thing, but as a mere hobby side for amateurs, it seems.

I have friends that works in public service radio stations in Sweden, and they use small active monitors just to supervise the broadcast, to make sure there is no broadcast interruption (ever). They are left with working with these as "background noise" and if they go silent, THEN they view it as an "alarm bell" and rushes to their consoles and tries to find out what is happening. An interruption of more than 5 seconds is considered national security hazard. Like, someone deliberately is sabotaging something down the line. Reverse alarm bell so to speak. They've expressed serious concern about this, as they have to buy new stuff like every 5 years.

But whether I think it's a con (dislike it) or not, I do like more consistency in ANY review, and as we've heard with the Kali user above, who finds it annoying, he couldn't find anything of this in the reviews first. Neither can I. That you have to "scare" the monitor first with a burst of signal/volume, to wake it up.

So the headline of this topic, was opinion on standby that can't be turned off, as well as inconsistency of this mentioning in reviews. Since more and more of the new active monitors comes with this already implemented. I could just cram in so many words in the headline...it truncates automatically after it being too long. ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am too, using the monitors for amp sims, Pianoteq software and numerous synth virtual software, and when I am tinkering and dabbling with settings visually, especially tuning up or intonation of guitars, the software automatically mutes output whenever the tuner is engaged. It can very well take more than 20 minutes, and when I turn off the tuner, it is muted and silent and I go "what have I now done...!?!?", thinking I've altered the parameters so much that it produces no sound, and just after whacking the guitar or keyboard with a strong signal it wakes up. The flow is interrupted. As well when I am mixing, one of the A1 formula, is to hear a complete mix at as low volume as possible. You turn it slowly up for detecting "what it the first sound that hits you?" and if it's the hihat, you know that you have to turn it down later in the mix, and so on. You all know that drill.

But now, you know my stance, but leave that aside for a moment, and concentrate on reviews of recent active monitors, which states or not states that auto standby occurs, and how it behaves. I think - if it's not possible to bypass it - the reviews must mention it if it works ok, or so so, or bad.

And I've found inconsitstent reviews of this, even in SOS reviews, as well as MusicRadar, and MusicTech reviews.

The main culprit is, that if you let me have a qualified guess at this, is that reviewers has a lot of things to do, and has no patience, and can't pass judgement on a monitor, with sitting idle, at 20 minutes silent, just to make it go into standby mode, and then firing it up again. They hit it with signals all of the time, to pass judgement on it. At loud and proud volumes. Eager, and no patience. ;)
Honch
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:35 am

Honch wrote:Yes, exactly.

Great. We're agreed. You must stop reading Music Radar reviews! :lol: :clap: :thumbup:

...reviewers has a lot of things to do, and has no patience, and can't pass judgement on a monitor, with sitting idle, at 20 minutes silent, just to make it go into standby mode, and then firing it up again. They hit it with signals all of the time, to pass judgement on it. At loud and proud volumes. Eager, and no patience.

I can't speak for reviewers in other magazines and websites... but I am confident that SOS reviews do have the time and patience to check every aspect of a speaker... including noting how it behaves going into and out of auto-standby when relevant.

But I think you've thrashed this particular personal grind comprehensively to death... I'm out!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Honch » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:21 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Honch wrote:Yes, exactly.

Great. We're agreed. You must stop reading Music Radar reviews! :lol: :clap: :thumbup:
Yes, me, but what about all others then? Many relies on just one, the first one they stumbles over.

I take all reviews as one big one, and make aggregate, reading in between the lines, and I review the reviews. One "sites" or magazine review is just another chapter on one topic. The topic is the studio monitors reviews. You know, just like movies reviews (yada yada film got 86% favorable reviews on "rotten tomatoes" and so on).

I do have read and still continues to read SOS reviews, and I have several times paid for single reviews, instead of waiting the time elapse before it has be let free of charge. And most reviews I can't make an aggregate verdict on until SOS have had their say.

But anyway, there are inconsistencies, in all reviews, as we have seen, regarding this particular feature of studio monitors. And others, that seems neglected and even bypassed.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Regarding energy savings for some pesky studio monitors to go into standby, for either current power savings, or else, I can't even think it would be measurable if you take all studios in the world into account. That is, even if you manually turned them off, each time you took a break, or didn't do anything for 20 minutes.

Today, they say that if you're into music production, the best CPU one can get right now, and it's even recommended for it, is the Intel i9-10900K 10 core 16 thread (or whatever) and can be boosted up to 5.3 Ghz given that the cooling options are optimal, and exotic (which runs at even more power), and to gain that cycle it runs at 95 degrees Celsius and draws a whopping 300 W from the computers power unit. Well, go figure. No standby exists there. Not speaking of the noise it will make due to maxed out cooling (air or fluid).

What you think you're gaining on some things, you'll lose at the other end. Anyway. No matter how you turn, you rear is at the back.
Honch
Regular

PreviousNext